Doritis pulcherrilum ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

skirincich

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

A couple of years ago, I purchased what I believed was a doritis cross (pulcherrima '#1' x pulcherrmia '#2') from Carter and Holmes. I have included a picture of the plant. The leaves are thick and stiff and lead me to wonder if this plant has psychosis in its background. Has anyone seen such leaves on a doritis before?

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
It does not have Psychopsis in the backgground if that's what you're asking. That would literally be impossible.

The leaves look pretty typical for this species, which by the way, is currently known as Phalaenopsis pulcherrima.

abax

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I have two pulcherrima and neither one has this color/discolor leaves. What is your
culture regimen? Perhaps too much light?

skirincich

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
The plant is outside under 70% shade cloth. My phals get the same light and are growing well without leaf discoloration. I replaced the sphagnum moss recently and the roots look good. At this point, I am trying understand what seasonal changes (light and water) will induce flowering. I have found examples online with similar leaves.

Rockbend

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW - in my experience Dor./Phal. pulcherrima grows slightly drier than the typical Phal., and slightly brighter - almost 'Cattleya light'. In-situ photographs largely bear this out.

YMMV :D

Latest posts