Dendrobium speciosum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a well known natural clone of var. grandiflorum called 'Creek Aureum'. It originated from Kroombit tops in Queensland. It is one of the parents of 'Katrina'

Attachments

• 20220826_165132.jpg
    20220826_165132.jpg
    903.6 KB · Views: 1
This is a well known natural clone of var. grandiflorum called 'Creek Aureum'. It originated from Kroombit tops in Queensland. It is one of the parents of 'Katrina'

They are stunning flowers. One of the best grandiflorums around. Is your plant flowering now? I have this clone too. Have had it for 3 years now. It would have about 15 growths but are yet to flower it. No buds so far, so I am getting nervous it won't flower again this season.

They are stunning flowers. One of the best grandiflorums around. Is your plant flowering now? I have this clone too. Have had it for 3 years now. It would have about 15 growths but are yet to flower it. No buds so far, so I am getting nervous it won't flower again this season.
Hi, I've got 2 pots of it. One flowered nicely last year and this year has no spikes showing. The other had 1 spikes last year but has at least 10 spikes just starting to pop. I have a 'Daylight Moon' with 6 spikes already 15cm long atm. The Creek Aureum is one of the later one to show spikes.

Last edited:
Your Dendrobium speciosum will tell you if it is getting the correct amount of light. They love growing in parts of Florida as an example but they are not plants that love the heat or full noon time sunlight. If your plant makes few flowers or blooms infrequently, it needs more light. But you must safe guard against heat which often accompanies increased light.
As far as temperatures go, their range goes from 30F to 110F. Both extremes are tolerated for short periods of time. I grew them in bright light in Florida but not full sun. They were under 60% shade cloth. Their ideal temperature range is 60-85 degrees in summer, 55-80 during winter months.
They are commonly found growing as lithophytes and do not grow as well in a dense mix along with plastic pots. Mine grew best in wooden baskets with a coarse, open, rapidly draining mix. They are not heavy feeders. Even strength fertilizer like 20-20-20 at 1/2 tsp. Per gallon on a regular basis is preferred.
Flower spikes can easily carry 30+ flowers. Leaves can be carried on a growth for 10-12 years. There are many forms recognized for speciosum. If it blooms with low flower counts, it needs a brighter spot.
They grow much better with a cooler, drier rest during periods of reduced light intensities. As rock dwelling lithophytes, good air movement is helpful.

Here on my driveway I have a couple of clones planted in gravel, most are Mt Larcom Gold x self. As it doesn't break down, I find it the best medium if you plant outside, (unless you can mount it on a tree). They are growing in full afternoon sun and have survived a heatwave of 47.5deg C (117F). Minimum rarely down to 5 deg C (40F)
This was last years Flowering

Attachments

• MLG x Self .jpg
    MLG x Self .jpg
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 2
  • MLG x Self.jpg
    MLG x Self.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Hi, I've got 2 pots of it. One flowered nicely last year and this year has no spikes showing. The other had 1 spikes last year but has at least 10 spikes just starting to pop. I have a 'Daylight Moon' with 6 spikes already 15cm long atm. The Creek Aureum is one of the later one to show spikes.

Your 'Creek Aureum' flowering last year was just incredible. And 10 spikes this year. Make sure you post a photo for us. Glad to hear it is a later flowerer. So there is still hope mine will flower although there is no sign at this stage. My plant would be the same size as your plant. At this stage I have only two speciousms with spikes just emerging - Windemere and a seedling I have been growing for nearly 20 years. I got a division of 'Daylight Moon' earlier this year. It won't flower this year.

Last edited:
Your Dendrobium speciosum will tell you if it is getting the correct amount of light. They love growing in parts of Florida as an example but they are not plants that love the heat or full noon time sunlight. If your plant makes few flowers or blooms infrequently, it needs more light. But you must safe guard against heat which often accompanies increased light.
As far as temperatures go, their range goes from 30F to 110F. Both extremes are tolerated for short periods of time. I grew them in bright light in Florida but not full sun. They were under 60% shade cloth. Their ideal temperature range is 60-85 degrees in summer, 55-80 during winter months.
They are commonly found growing as lithophytes and do not grow as well in a dense mix along with plastic pots. Mine grew best in wooden baskets with a coarse, open, rapidly draining mix. They are not heavy feeders. Even strength fertilizer like 20-20-20 at 1/2 tsp. Per gallon on a regular basis is preferred.
Flower spikes can easily carry 30+ flowers. Leaves can be carried on a growth for 10-12 years. There are many forms recognized for speciosum. If it blooms with low flower counts, it needs a brighter spot.
They grow much better with a cooler, drier rest during periods of reduced light intensities. As rock dwelling lithophytes, good air movement is helpful.

They can take pretty extreme conditions. I would argue this is one of the world's toughest orchids. I have seen it growing in full sunshine in large rocks 10 metres from the ocean where it would get a lot of salt spray. The plants would have dried out in no time. The location seemed inhospitable to life in general but here there were speciosums growing.

I did put all my speciosum's out in the full sun for a while a couple of months ago in the hope of triggering flowering. It may have been too late. I am not sure when the critical light period is to initiate flowering.

Super photos and growing info.

Is anyone growing the smaller blackdownense subspecies? The bulbs are tiny compared to the regular form and would be much better suited for home growing.
Hi, I have one blackdownense 'Crikey' from Gerry Walsh. Got it about 9 months ago. Only a small division but coming into spike atm.
Also have a blackdownense x gradiflorum 'Katrina' that has the same diminutive growth as blackdownense. Ive called it 'Walsh's Gold' Photo 2 & 3 canes mature and flower at 10-15cm.
Last photo is a flower comparison of Windermere vs Walsh's Gold

Attachments

• 20230703_134528.jpg
    20230703_134528.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • DSC07152sm.jpg
    DSC07152sm.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC07153cr.jpg
    DSC07153cr.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 155-156 Windemere and Walshs Gold.JPG
    155-156 Windemere and Walshs Gold.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Var. blackdownense 'Blackdown C Good' in a 200mm pot. First flowering of this division I got last year. Pseudobulbs 10-15cm, flowers are a bit smaller than the other var., about 35-40mm

Attachments

• DSC08881.JPG
    DSC08881.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC08882.JPG
    DSC08882.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • DSC08884 .jpg
    DSC08884 .jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Those are cool. Wish they were here in the US. It could manage that in my small grow-space. Even getting some seed would be awesome -- I have flasked and germinated dendrobiums before.

Thanks for sharing photos.

Den. speciosum var. curvicaule 'Daylight Moon'. One of the best know and still a top quality speciosums.

Attachments

• DSC08905.JPG
    DSC08905.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC08906.JPG
    DSC08906.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC08903cr.jpg
    DSC08903cr.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Incredible flowerings. What a display. So beautifully grown. A bit early for the Spring shows I suspect.

I don't think people outside of Australia appreciate how good these clones are. These are the best of the best. Daylight Moon was the only speciosum to get an FCC award, although I believe a selfing of Daylight Moon has now also received an FCC. So that is only two. And 'Creek Aureum is a legendary grandiflorum.

I have both these clones but still yet to flower them.

Latest posts

Back