Dendrobium Gatton Sunray FCC/RHS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondie

Reaction score
Hi

This is one of my most prized orchids in my collection, this is a division of the awarded plant from 1919. It is one of my favourite hybrids and always had a love affiare with it.

I use to look after this plant at my old job, and it was still being used as a parent for new hybrids. It use to be grown in full sun with no protection, I was given a couple of keikis as part of my leaving gift from the job. I found that every left dropped off and waited till new growths came up.

Beautiful flowering. I am cultivating one of its parent Den pulchellum since more ten years but it has flower only one time. I give it as more light as it is possible for me during summer and winter. I have no problem to flower Cattleya but this Dendrobium is reluctant. What is your feeding regime for this plant ?

Envoyé de mon Nexus 9 en utilisant Tapatalk

Beautiful flowering. I am cultivating one of its parent Den pulchellum since more ten years but it has flower only one time. I give it as more light as it is possible for me during summer and winter. I have no problem to flower Cattleya but this Dendrobium is reluctant. What is your feeding regime for this plant ?

Envoyé de mon Nexus 9 en utilisant Tapatalk

I am a very poor feeder lot of of the time my plants are lucky to get fed. I am at the moment using using normal miracle grow feed do the garden 25ml to135lt of water.

I water every water with maxicrop seaweed extract for growth stimulation, one every two months I water all the orchids with hosepipe. I use tap water for everything mine is some where in the middle of soft and hard water as we do get limescale on the taps.

I have grown pulchellum before and its a pig to grow and flower, I was growing in SBG in the NOG Nursery mounted on bark under the shade cloth and shade from a a durian tree. Watered every day and feed and sprayed three times a week. It had poor flowering and only put out about one to two spikes a year. We may just have had a very poor plant.

The Gatton Sundays mine came off where grown in full Sun all year round.

I'd say maybe give ur pulchellum a dry and cool winter rest as the one we had, in the nursery flowered just before growth started in the hot dry season after the hot wet season but it was cooler then the hot dry season.

Hope this helps

Always nice to see a blooming gatton sunray... In South Florida I had a couple of these and they grew and propagated to the size of a hedge, 4 ft tall plus. I had them in full sun and when in active growth, can be fertilized heavy weekly.
Thank you for posting

Gatton Sunray is always a bright spot in the greenhouse when in flower. Still very popular in Hawaii if you can find one. Ours are from all made from stem cuttings/aerial keikis.

Latest posts

Back