Dendrobium bigibbum var. compactum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e-spice

Reaction score
I've had this plant for seven years and it's a very good performer. It originally came from Lowe's in a 2.5-inch pot.

e-spice

IMG_4372.JPG

Well actually it wasn't named but I have had several other growers identify this as the species bigibbum.

e-spice

Then it's really hard to say what it really is. The growers for Lowes and Home Depot are not prone to selling species orchids, and there are a bazillion dendro hybirids out there that can look just like species.

I would try to track it down to the grower and check with them.

I once tried this with a Home Depot dendro that was good at winning ribbons (but couldn't be shown for AOS awards), and tracked it down to American Mercantile. AM is (was) a huge grower near Homestead Florida, and the GH manager was able to track the serial number down to a couple of lines, but they were whacked by a hurricane, and he wasn't able to get exactly to what it was. I haven't tried to follow up for a few years now.

I agree with Rick. I've seen many minis that look like this, all with different names and many unnamed.

Whatever it is, it is gorgeous, very prolific, and certainly worth keeping and enjoying.

:clap::clap: It's lovely, nice performer! And I'm sure it was a good deal! I have to agree with Rick & Dot. Whenever one gets a plant from Lowe's or Home Depot it's because we like it, not that we want to breed it. Continue enjoying it & thanks for sharing it with us!

Latest posts

Back