Deflasking Help Needed!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I'm going to hijack this thread with my own deflasking questions.

I just delfaksed some Paph roebelenii seedlings. It was a rush job as I discovered a fungal colony in one corner of the flask. But its spring and they are sending out new roots so maybe I will be luckier this time... They were deflasked into a mix of vermiculite (3), fine pine bark (3), coral chips (1) and some sphagnum moss (1) into a 10 cm pot. I use such sized pots because I can slip a decapitated coke bottle over it and make a mini hot house to keep the humidity high. The pots are standing ontop of my fishtank stand (so they are warm during the day from the fishtank lights) opposite a south-west facing window (I'm in the S. hemisphere so this fine). I followed the Antec Lab method of leaving the agar on. I got two pots from the one flask.

For my adult plants I use 550 mL tall food containers of clear plastic. I punch wholes into the sides of these to ensure good air circulation in the medium so it dries fast rather than letting the roots get soggy (a big problem with generous watering me).

I have potted the seedlings into clear plastic pots and am wondering if I should punch wholes into the sides of these as well to ensure the medium doesn't stay soggy and the roots get good air. This is my last flask and I don't want to lose these.

Any advice?

I can't see anything wrong with punching holes in the sides, with some of my plants I have slits running up the sides of the pots (they come this way) which helps the medium dry out more evenly.

Some of the questions you have asked I can't answer but I would be interested to hear others responses.

Day 12 and no rot.

Latest posts

Back