Dactylorhiza purpurella

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
I got it from Great Lakes Orchids. I didn't take the photo until the end of the season, so the flowers are not so fresh. But I just got a new toy, and I wanted to take a photo with it.

This is the first year I'm trying Dactylorhiza, so I don't know much about this group. It seems to be one of the more available ones in the US. Somehow the flower of my plants are much paler than other photos. I wonder if it is the correct ID.

Dactylorhiza purpurella 'NT3', on Flickr

The temp is getting pretty low (almost freezing at night), so I decided to bring the pot inside. Most Cyps are starting to drop leaves, but this one is still going strong (and the fruits are still not ready to harvest). I hope I don't screw up by keeping it warm.

This plant is slightly variable but those I have seen in the wild are the colour as shown on Great Lakes website. It grows quite locally to me.

It is not warm growing (I cannot say it will be hardy in Alaska!!) and neither is it near me a bog plant although it is the Northern Marsh Orchid. I have seen it growing in roadside grit. It seems happy in a range of habitats. There are numerous 'species' of dactylorhiza almost impossible to tell apart.

If when it has been in flower a couple of weeks you knock it out of its pot you can gently detach the new tuber. Replant the original plant and keep it watered and cool and it will produce another one or two tubers as it dies down.This is an excellent way of increasing your numbers. The new tuber can be potted ,kept cool and moist and it grows away and flowers next year

Thank you for the info about getting extra tubers, Tony. Yeah, we have only limited selection for hardy perennials (Zone 2a), and I don't think it can survive outside.

Linus, I guess your way (full sun, bog environment) is probably the proper way. I think I should have watered more and gave more light since mine is somewhat etiolated looking. How do you deal with them in the winter? Do you keep them wet in the pond during the winter?

Thank you for the info about getting extra tubers, Tony. Yeah, we have only limited selection for hardy perennials (Zone 2a), and I don't think it can survive outside.

Linus, I guess your way (full sun, bog environment) is probably the proper way. I think I should have watered more and gave more light since mine is somewhat etiolated looking. How do you deal with them in the winter? Do you keep them wet in the pond during the winter?

My theory with temperate terrestrials is that the more sun an orchid needs/gets, the more water it appreciates (evaporative cooling, etc; especially if it gets in the upper 90s in DC).
Yes, I do keep it in the pond during the winter. I'll put it in a much bigger pot, and dump leaves on top to provide some insulation.

Latest posts

Back