Cyps

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug

Reaction score
Should the media in an outdoor raised bed bog garden (it leaks) be changed? If so, how often? I use pine fines, sand and hardwood bark mulch.
Thanks.

Good question. I would say if the mulch/organic matter breaks down too much so that there is not good drainage (and the area stays soggy), then time to change the media. I guess I would try not to do it too often as cyps don't like to have their roots disturbed.
Another option would be to use more inorganic material in the future:

http://www.gardensatposthill.com/website/StoreSupplies.htm#02

Terrestrial Orchid Medium for Outside Beds
Cat Number MED02
This is the medium we use to grow our Cypripedium in beds outside. It is composed of equal parts Soil Perfector, Turface, and a dark grey basalt gravel.

there was/is a dr. in pennsylvania who wrote a large paperback book about growing native orchids in raised or man-made beds. he stated that after a few years i don't know if it was more than five suggested that they be redone every so often. i know that's vague, but it's probably ten years or so since I read the book and it's in a box in northern nj and i'm in southern at the moment (i'll have it tomorrow when I pick up the rest of my stuff from old apartment)

Latest posts

Back