cyps in pots 2015

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nearly there

Hi,
first to flower this year after formosanum is a white lipped fasciolatum.
There are nine buds this year and finally the plant is growing well after nearly dying when repotted a few years ago.
Next is a group shot of the largest hybrids.
We have had a cool spring with only a couple of days near 20 degrees.
This has allowed most of the plants to develop well apart from the pale leaved Michael in the foreground. It does this every year and the leaves only colour up properly after the flowers have died.
I've tried taking photos with the iPad and they have come out rather over exposed,
David

Attachments

• SRGC-fasciolatum.jpg
    SRGC-fasciolatum.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 51
  • SRGC-hybrid-group.jpg
    SRGC-hybrid-group.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 59
Cyps over winter

Tom
Thanks. The largest cyp isn't even in the photo. Pixi is just starting up and so far there are just over 70 shoots. This winter has been ok, colder than last years when some plants struggled probably because they did not vernalise. Because of this I have lost one of the alba ventricosums and the last of Holgers tibeticums. Segwai has also not appeared this year so I have lost some choice species. All the hybrids are fine!
David

Crappy video

Hi
I uploaded a poor video onto YouTube of the current state of growth of the plants yesterday using the video on a new iPad. Tomorrow I will do better by turning the iPad 90 degrees so I see a landscape rather than portrait view.
I may even add a commentary.
The video is called cypripediums in pots two.
You need to search for it as I am still getting to grips with this new computer.

Fasciolatum is looking good this year, both plants have done well. The large hybrids at the end of the video are all about to pop but we have had a cold April and this has slowed growth. On the plus side this has meant that the growths have been sturdy with little need to stake.

David

Yes the pots are watered quite a bit.
At least once a week in cold weather and up to every day when it is hot,
David

It doesn't get hot in the UK - does it? :rollhappy:

Seriously, I've grown (not well), Cyps in weather that is almost unimaginable. In summer we're talking NIGHT temps in the 26-28 C range and highs above 30 C, EVERYDAY. I've managed to keep a number of species (japonicum, formosanum, kentuckiense, macranthos, debile, henryi) and a few hybrids (Victoria, Gisela, Aki) alive and even flower them from time to time. I wouldn't recommend such conditions though...

Amazing view, David! Thank you for sharing. There are quite a bit of variation in the stage of growth; some are still 1-2cm while others are flowering. Do the pots at the lower shelf contain Cyps, too?

This is my 3rd year of Cyp growing (well 4th, but the first year was a complete failure) after I saw how you grow them. I think you are completely right that the big pots are advantageous. From the same flask, the ones in the big pots have survived better than the smaller pots. But under my condition, a bit more organic materials work better. I think that this is because I'm not watering enough, and organic matters (coco peat) is probably making the moisture more stable.

One interesting thing I found yesterday is that I didn't see any growths with Cyp. guttatum last year. I assumed that it was dead, but I kept watering it with the others. But this year, I found that small shoots are starting. In my climate, most Cyps are still 1cm or so at this moment, and this individual is much smaller (about 1mm sticking out) than the rest, but I'm excited that it wasn't dead!

Could you possibly tell me how you fertilize? I think you told us once, but I can't seem to locate it.

Cyps

Yes there are more plants on the floor.
I fertilise at least every week to two weeks at this time of year whilst they are growing so quickly.
Tom-hot in the UK is anything over 25 degrees.
David

the season finally starts - first up the species

Hi,

first up are a couple of clones of fasciolatum.
The yellow lipped form has a lovely scent.
Both are now doing well after taking there time to recover from repotting.
Regards,

David

Attachments

• cyp fasciolatum 1.jpg
    cyp fasciolatum 1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 22
  • cyp fasciolatum 2.jpg
    cyp fasciolatum 2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 14
  • cyp fasciolatum 3.jpg
    cyp fasciolatum 3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 10