cyps in pots 2011

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi,

the weather has finally warmed up enough ( 15 degrees c daytime) for the plants to start growing rapidly. There should be the first flower out next week.
The photo shows the most advanced of the flowering size plants in my 'outdoor' greenhouse. I've begun to be fed up bending down to look at the plants so I moved a section of greenhouse staging outside whilst these plants flower. They are on the cooler north side.
The large plant front left is the hybrid Sunny which is always the first to flower.
The green shade cloth at the end is to protect them mainly from the wind.
There seem to be more non flowering shoots this year - maybe due to the very cold weather in December. We experienced -12 degrees and this must have frozen the pots to quite a depth. So far I cannot see any other problems.
I've lost a few plants but these were struggling before the freeze. The only one I'm 'mourning' is a seedling tibeticum that after two years good growth was big enough to flower this spring.
This year I'm really looking forward to seeing some semi alba macranthos seedlings flower for the first time. The buds are developing nicely and I'll post when they're out,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• cyp group shot.jpg
    cyp group shot.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 80
Hi,

I've posted before about the growing medium but it is basically super coarse perlite with maybe 10% orchid bark. The pots are topped with hydroleca to stop the perlite floating away whilst watering,

David

pale flowers

hi,

plants are finally doing their thing.
I've definitely lost a few flowers from the extreme cold in December. The shoots have grown OK but there are very small aborted buds at the base of a few. Macranthos hotei and tibeticum aborted buds as did a few hybrids. Sometimes it was only some of the shoots of a particular plant.
As shoot growth seems to be fine, I'm assuming that the roots were unaffected.
First up are a couple of new clones of macranthos. Both are from crosses between specific pale coloured clones.
The first photo is from a mac. pink x semi alba.Nice but I prefer the second one.
This semi alba x semi alba produced just 25% semi alba seedlings - a nice 3:1 ratio - must be a single gene that caused this pale flower.
Next up is a lovely clone of Aki light( macranthos x pubescens). I received this in a trade for another plant.
It is almost a pure yellow with just a bit of red veining on the dorsal. An unusual colour- I don't have another plant with this colour.
Lastly we have Sabine pastel - fasciolatum x macranthos, but another pale clone. The petals are ivory and the lip almost pure white.
This looks to be a promising grex which has large, striking flowers and grows quickly,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• pink x semi alba (2).JPG
    pink x semi alba (2).JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 20
  • semi alba 2.jpg
    semi alba 2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 18
  • aki light 2.jpg
    aki light 2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 16
  • sabine pastel 2.jpg
    sabine pastel 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 24
hi,

plants are finally doing their thing.
I've definitely lost a few flowers from the extreme cold in December. The shoots have grown OK but there are very small aborted buds at the base of a few. Macranthos hotei and tibeticum aborted buds as did a few hybrids. Sometimes it was only some of the shoots of a particular plant.
As shoot growth seems to be fine, I'm assuming that the roots were unaffected.
First up are a couple of new clones of macranthos. Both are from crosses between specific pale coloured clones.
The first photo is from a mac. pink x semi alba.Nice but I prefer the second one.
This semi alba x semi alba produced just 25% semi alba seedlings - a nice 3:1 ratio - must be a single gene that caused this pale flower.
Next up is a lovely clone of Aki light( macranthos x pubescens). I received this in a trade for another plant.
It is almost a pure yellow with just a bit of red veining on the dorsal. An unusual colour- I don't have another plant with this colour.
Lastly we have Sabine pastel - fasciolatum x macranthos, but another pale clone. The petals are ivory and the lip almost pure white.
This looks to be a promising grex which has large, striking flowers and grows quickly,

Regards,

David

hey David,
nice pics :)

don't be sad.
you can see flowers from my different hotei cultivars in about 3 weeks.
according to temps next weeks,
which are much lower than yours...............

..............AND you are young,
next spring will come for you with new and MORE flowers ;)

cheers
Dieter

more hybrids

Hi,

first up a group shot of the cyps flowering behind the greenhouse.
The warm weather has pushed them on and they must be a couple of weeks ahead of last year.
Next up is a new one for me - the hybrid 'Bill' ( pubescens x tibeticum).
This looks very promising - the large flower is a nice rich red on an average sized stem. The seedling is flowering for the first time so should improve quite a bit.
The next is a bit of a mystery. It was bought as 'Pluto' ( fasciolatum x franchetti) but is nothing of the sort.
It is definitely a fasciolatum cross and probably 'Sunny' (calceolus x fasciolatum).
I didn't think much of the flower when this plant first flowered a couple of years ago. But each year it improves in size and colour, so now it's a keeper,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• group 2.jpg
    group 2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 21
  • bill 2.jpg
    bill 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 14
  • not pluto 2.jpg
    not pluto 2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 20
Lovely plants David. Sabine pastel is one of the most beautiful of the new hybrids IMO. I am a sucker for small plants with large flowers. I really like the last mystery hybrid as well. The pale Aki reminds me of the large flowered yellow forms of C. x ventricosum that sometimes come out of China.

Great growing :clap:

hybrids

Tom,

Sabine pastel looks to be a real winner. The plant has real impact. Last year it was a new purchase and just had a single flower plus small growth. This year three flowers plus another growth with an aborted bud. The rate of increase is excellent and I'm really looking forward to seeing what it is capable of in future.
The Aki pastel was a great surprise. The colour is a clear yellow with just very faint red stripes on the dorsal. Photos I've seen of it on the web would not suggest that it is likely to produce such a colour. They mostly seem to be a 'washed out' pale red. However it was a trade and the plant was large and double budded so the previous owner must have seen it in flower. I'm pretty sure that it is 'Aki' -the flower shape is exactly right for the cross.
The first photo shows a close up of the mystery plant -Tom - are there any clues here as to whether it is actually calceolus x fasciolatum?
Talking of small plants with large flowers Tom -the next photo shows another new hybrid flowering for the first time for me - Renate pastel ( macranthos x franchetti). The plant is only in its second year and still quite small so this should improve considerably in future.
Lastly we have a close up of the Sabine pastel - there is a bit of fine red stippling around the base of the petals but is otherwise white and ivory,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• not pluto 3.jpg
    not pluto 3.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 7
  • renate pastel (2).JPG
    renate pastel (2).JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 11
  • sabine pastel 2.jpg
    sabine pastel 2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 16
David,

Agreed on the Sabine pastel. All around a cut above.

I've got a couple new Aki pastel this season so I'm excited to see how they turn out - probably not a lovely as yours. Since this cross is so similar to the naturally occurring x ventricosum, I'm not surprised at a few turning out yellow like that, but no doubt they are rare!

About the mystery flower, I think you're right about it being 'Sunny'. The overall shape and color is definitely calceolus influenced, while the flower stance - slightly bent forward - and stouter plant speaks of fasciolatum. A real beauty regardless of what it is.

The Renate pastel is a bit of surprise given the parents - that lip is very elongated which doesn't fit well - I wonder if there isn't some x ventricosum blood in there somewhere. Many plants sold under macranthos alba are not pure IMO, so it is possible the macranthos parent wasn't pure. Just a thought.

You grow your plants so well - I am a bit jealous. Here in the near subtropics it is a struggle just to keep them alive - well, except for japonicum and formosanum which thrive.

Keep those photos coming please.

Back