cyps in pots 2011

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey,
I have seen many macrathos alba plants flowering here from different sources
in the last years.

But as far as I "identified", ALL were X ventricosums, imported from "natural sources",
though beeing grown for years already in Europe
and possibly used for breeding ..........

Nevertheless, I think that true macranthos alba is fairly rare,
and only to KNOW TRUE from few sources,
as MY SEEDGROWN PLANT is :)

look at this last years pic, because plant is still dormant yet........

C. macranthos alba
20110419-132609-679.jpg

BTW: in 2009 a guy from a forum offered me a X ventricosum alba.
when I asked from what source, he said "Santa Claus" ,
but Santa must have been BLIND.
when it flowered in 2010,
a macranthos ALBA (not the plant in the pic) came out.
so even from an imported rhizom you can be "lucky guy" :rollhappy:

life is hard,
so Carpe Diem

renate pastel

Tom,

the renate pastel plant is pretty small and this may be why the flower isn't normal. Cyp flowers can improve hugely when the plants get bigger.It was bought from a nursery who I think received it from Michael Wienert so I'm hoping that it is 'correct'. The flower colour is right.
The cross was released in small numbers a couple of years ago. Not a normal release - there aren't many about this year.
I'm sure you're right about many ventricosums/macranthos plants.
They're so difficult to tell apart, with ventricosum being so variable in form and colour.
Do you have a definitive character apart from flower shape?
As for culture, I find them fairly straight forward in our equable maritime climate.
The UK winters are usually not too cold to freeze the pots ( apart from December 2010) and the summers not too hot to stress the plants and stop them growing. Don't forget that I live in the UK's 'bread basket' of East Anglia where the winters are colder and the summers hotter than the west coast. Average annual rainfall is only about 23 inches. If I really wanted to do well with them I'd move over there!

Regards,

David

Hy your flower could be sunny, but there are so many hybrids out there so it can confuse, it could be Inge too. My plants will flower soon outside,
my Sunny is more brown and my inge more light, but the form of the pouch could be a sign for fasciculatum in that cross.

more hybrids

Hi,

first up a group shot of the pots at their peak after unseasonably warm April weather for the UK ( peaking at 27 centigrade) brought them all out in a rush.
I sometimes get a fleeting waft of scent from the group first thing in the morning but cannot pin down where it is coming from.
The dark chocolate flowers at the front are from 'Pixi'( calceolus x tibeticum).
Next is 'Birgit' ( macranthos x cordigerum) -a nice clear pink.
The next two are both x ventricosum from different ends of the colour spectrum - a dark and pale clone. This is such a vigorous grex/natural hybrid you could have a large collection of cyps from just this group.
Lastly is the small and very cute parviflorum var makasin - it is supposed to be scented but I cannot smell it,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• cyps group 2.JPG
    cyps group 2.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 16
  • birgit.JPG
    birgit.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 15
  • ventricosum dark.JPG
    ventricosum dark.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 19
  • x ventricosum pale.JPG
    x ventricosum pale.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 22
  • parviflorum whole plant.JPG
    parviflorum whole plant.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 18
David, looking like paradise over your way these days :D

Agreed that you could have a collection of C. x ventricosum alone and have a wonderful mix of plants. Nice clumping plants too.

'Brigit' is just fabulous. I love just about every cross made with cordigerum - it is a perfect parent, but too bad it is so hard to grow itself. Is 'Brigit' giving you any trouble, or is she an easy grower? I'd love to see that cross remade with a really fine, large v. hoteiatsumorianum.

Birgit

Tom/Eric,

thanks for the comments - the flower show would have been even better if the winter had been a bit less harsh. I'm really pleased with the way so many of the hybrids are now bulking up each year. I'll have to undertake a major repotting exercise this coming autumn.
Birgit came to me as a small seedling from ebay - you hardly ever see it offered for sale. It nearly died the first year after a bad aphid attack. It sat around and did little for a couple of years and then last year it grew big time and now seems to be a good vigorous plant. Eight growths and four flowers this year.
Eric- the pale ventricosum is probably from Frosch perennials (Michael Wienert ), he has started to sell this grex recently. Again this seems to be a vigorous grower and should bulk up well in the coming years. Last year there was one small growth and this year two large growths with flowers.
The photo shows another macranthos cross with a similarly difficult to grow species to cordigerum, that is candidum. The cross is called Annette.
This grex can produce flowers with colours ranging all the way from the pale candidum to the purplish macranthos.
This flower seems to be virtually all the pale candidum colour. It isn't big but quite cute and as a new seedling should improve quite a bit,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• Annette.JPG
    Annette.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 13
more red hybrids

Hi,
a few later flowering hybrids.
The first photo shows five red hybrids. Back row (L to R) is Philipp, Philipp?? and Lucy Pinkepank.
Front row is x ventricosum and Pixi.
The dark Philipp( kentuckiense x macranthos) is a seedling flowering for the first time. The cross came from Jan Moors at Crustacare using their clone macranthos 'red russian'. I'm expecting future flowerings of this plant to give a completely dark red flower.
Next up is a realy beefy plant with three stems and five huge flowers. It could be Philipp or Lucy Pinkepank( kentuckiense x tibeticum) but I'm leaning more towards Philipp. The plant is thick stemmed with two large flowers per stem and I'm wondering whether it is polyploid.
Next up is a true lucy pinkepank - a slightly more graceful flower compared to these two philipps.
Lastly we have a very dark Pixi( calceolus x tibeticum). This plant grows like a weed and the flowers are almost chocolate in colour,
Enjoy,

David

Attachments

• red gp 2.JPG
    red gp 2.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 9
  • dk philipp 3.JPG
    dk philipp 3.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 7
  • maybe lucy P 2.JPG
    maybe lucy P 2.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 6
  • lucy p.JPG
    lucy p.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 7
  • pixi.JPG
    pixi.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 12
your lucy pinkepank ad the dark pixi are really great love them.
If you have one day something to share please think on me.

species

Tom,

just the usual range of N.American and the easier himalayan types.
They don't grow as quickly as the hybrids so I don't post too many.
However I will have one, maybe two macranthos hotei 'kamanashi' flowering soon, from new purchases this winter, so I'll post those,

Regards,

David

Hey David,

Yes, I too am starting to get more interested in hybrids, both for their vigor and variety. It will be interesting to see these Kamanashi forms as they come into flower. I assume they came from Michael Weinert?

Still, you have to love the species. I don't see how you can avoid growing C. kentuckiense for instance - it is just so fabulous!

Never seen a pict of Kamanashi only heard about.
Hope you will post a pic when in flower.

Hybrids are interesting I like to cross.

Heard I was sucessfull with crossing fasciolatum X acaule.

kamanashi

Hi Tom,

the kamanashi forms came from Laneside Alpines in the UK - he had a bunch of plants that originated in Holland I believe. They sold out very quickly but I did buy several.
The first plant to flower is quite small but has a well developed bud and looks correct -the lip is dark, very fat and bulbous compared to the usual macranthos types.
Only one other, larger plant may flower but that will be a couple of weeks off at least. They are pretty late to get going, which seems to be typical of kamanashi.
I love kentuckiense but lost my first plant for no apparent reason four years ago just as it really got going - three nice tall stems with flowers in 2007, one smaller stem plus flower in 2008 and dead by the autumn.
The back up plant is just starting to increase.
I prefer the hybrids and species that flower early as by the time kentuckiense, reginae etc flower there is so much to see and do in the garden that they get forgotten,

Regards,

David

kamanashi and a few others

Hi,
a few late flowers.
First up a very nice form of macranthos var hotei atsumorianum from the kamanashi region of Japan. A small seed grown plant flowering for the first time. I particularly like the veining on the petals.
Next is a dark Philipp from crustacare in Begium made with a dark red macranthos. Several years old and now going along nicely.
Lastly we have Wouter Peters ( reginae x kentuckiense). This plant has been slow to grow up but now seems to be hitting its stride.
I've grown a few of these 'wide cross' reginae hybrids and I've generally found them a problem. I find pale leaves, fasciolated weak stems and poorish growth to be common. I'd steer clear of them.
The only reginae hybrid to grow well is the ubiquitous Ulla Silkens made with reginae's close relative flavum,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• hotei.JPG
    hotei.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 11
  • dark philipp.JPG
    dark philipp.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 10
  • wouter peters.JPG
    wouter peters.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 11
macranthos var hotei atsumorianum from the kamanashi look like macranthos atropurpureum , Russland Vladivostock ( L. Averyanov )

all are great like the flowers of all.
But the philipp is really great have to get me one from him.
Do you have a Warren from him

Hakone - it isn't the best photo of hotei but it is definitely the japanese form. It has a very fat bulbous lip just like my other hotei and different to the 'normal' forms.Will post a better photo soon.
Dido -I haven't heard of 'warren'?

David

Latest posts

Back