Cypripedium subtropicum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To reply, yes Holger did not take that photo, but the collector, see here :

http://www.cypripedium.de/forum/messages/2838.html

That's the commercial offer from the Kunming man I told you... with the photo credited supposedly to Holger on another website... Holger therefore did not take that photo.

Ok, No doubt that these are the same photo and your explanation sounds plausible. I note that Dr Perner's pic is copyrighted a month earlier than the post in the link.
From the information you have given, it seems that you are saying that these plants have been found near the China/Việt Nam border in the vicinity of Lai Châu. If this is the case, this would be about 800kms from the site mentioned when first described?

Mick

the whole plant with four old shoots ( 1. year, 2. year, 3. year and 4. year )

photo taken from friend in Dalat ( South Viet Nam )

another plant , 2. year

photo taken from friend in Dalat ( South Viet Nam )

Ok, No doubt that these are the same photo and your explanation sounds plausible. I note that Dr Perner's pic is copyrighted a month earlier than the post in the link.
From the information you have given, it seems that you are saying that these plants have been found near the China/Việt Nam border in the vicinity of Lai Châu. If this is the case, this would be about 800kms from the site mentioned when first described?

Mick

Well, here is the collector's picture, taken in may ( blooming season june...):

appendiculatum%201.jpg

And the picture credited to Holger:

190029m.jpg

They are from the same set of photos indeed, of the same plant. The seller's photo indeed was posted by someone who is a relative of the man who has the monopoly in Kunming, and I got confirmed that this whole set was taken by the two collectors, not Holger, as it appears clear ( as well, how come an unpublished photo from Holger would end up in a trader's network...). The man in Kunming said that those photos were taken in june 2009, which is consistent with the flower buds. Mid july, they would be in full bloom...

It is not the only case this happened over the years, there are even more famous ones, including several staged photos in Slipper Orchids of Vietnam.

Not Lai Chau, it would be too easy, it comes from an area north of A Pa Chai, but it is impossible to access normally, except through a military road from the Chinese side...

No argument from me.
As many people are, I'm intrigued by this species so I have a couple of questions:

Do you believe that this species was found in-situ at Mêdog,Xizang, Tibet (China) as the original description says?

If you agree with the above, it would mean that the population that you mentioned would be just over 1000kms from the Mêdog area. I realize that the Malipo area has been well worked over by collectors but the frontier area of Lai Châu to a lesser degree. Is there any reason that this species couldn't be found in Lai Châu or in the vacinity of Malipo, Yunnan?

Mick

How did I miss this thread before ?! :rollhappy:

It would be even better if a few could be left alone unharassed, but with Burma seeming to want to open up relations with China that region is going to be under the gun like never before.

Yeah, Burma wants to open up relations like you'd want to open relations with the man standing on your neck! :(

Dont' worry it comes only from Vietnam...

The Glorious People's Democratic Republic once again request reorganization of the Imperialist borders placed upon our southern cousins' lands!

:evil: but of course nothing is impossible to men of good will, like finding hangianum in China... or gigantifolium maybe one day...

"Child please!?" :p

Fantastic species. I hope efforts to grow them from seed work out. By the sounds of it every new colony that is found is quickly stripped.

How did I miss this thread before ?! :rollhappy:

Sometimes you just have to wait for a good thing!

Yeah, Burma wants to open up relations like you'd want to open relations with the man standing on your neck! :(

As the Japanese saying goes, "Shouganai" - no choice. Who'd want to be sandwiched between India and China.

Latest posts

Back