Cypripedium Philipp

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this beauty last spring from Fraser Thimble Farm (BC, Canada).

Cypripedium Philipp (Cypripedium macranthos x Cypripedium kentuckiense)

CypripedePhillip_modifi-1.jpg

Philipp

Hi there,

Philipp can vary from pinkish to purplish depending on the parents used, and probably the temperature during bud development.
Cooler weather produces deeper colours.
The darker forms of macranthos produce darker, more purplish flowers.
I have a couple of plants of of Philipp utilizing the macranthos variety 'baikal' (a deep coloured form) and these plants are much more purplish in colour.
One is really quite dark.
I can show examples of both if anyone would like to see them.
Personally I prefer the more pinky ones,

Regards,

David

Oh, yes David, I would like to see examples of those plants!!

And you may be right about temperature. Spring temperature were rather cool here when the plant flowered. It was not the "normal" moment for Cypripedium to flower (at least for Cypripediums we have in our garden or our woodlot). I bought this plant from B.C. this year, and the growing season on the west coast begin several weeks before ours!

Thanks for those explanations. I too would like to see those other pictures David!

monocotman: do you have a full plant photo of that Cyp. Philipp? Does it just have the one growth and one flower? FTF tends to sell only one-eye divisions.

clones of cyp Philipps

Hi,

a couple of different clones of Philipp.
First up is my favourite clone - a nice clear rosy pink with a picotee edge round the lip and staminode.
Second is the only photo I have of the plant derived from the Baikal form of macranthos.
This is the plants' first flower, only photo, and seems to be slightly distorted-probably due to aphids.
Maybe it isn't a fair comparison - the first plant is much older - but the second flower to me, although darker is a 'duller' colour.
The difference is more obvious in person - probably due to the limitations of my camera.
I'll try to get a better comparison photo next spring,

Regards,

David

Attachments

• philipp 2.jpg
    philipp 2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 14
  • dk philipp resize.jpg
    dk philipp resize.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 12
Philipp full plant

Hi,

photo of Philipp full size. Six stems on this flowering in 2009 - I split it the following autumn when it had ten resting buds.
It is recommended to split cyps when the number of stems gets into double figures. However it isn't easy to split these plants - believe me I've tried - you have to be very determined. So I'm going to leave a few to get really big. It may be that in pots they won't be susceptible to the rots that garden grown plants are.

Erythrone - I think I have about ninety pots of cyps, mostly hybrids at the moment. It tends to increase every winter when the new hybrids are advertised!

Regards,

David

Attachments

• Philipp resize.jpg
    Philipp resize.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 9
David,

What do you mean but "It is recommended to split cyps when the number of stems gets into double figures". I don't undersand well. Sorry. You know that English is not my first language...

I think what he means is that when the number of growths exceeds 10, it's time to divide the plant.

Latest posts

Back