Cypripedium californicum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. I assume by the name that this species grows naturally in California. Any idea where? I wonder if they would grow well in my yard or do they need a cooler winter rest?

Dido, I presume you mean if Spangle Creek Labs offer the other species??
California has only two other species: C. fasciculatum and C. montanum.
I have not seen either in person just on the net.

NYEric, I am not too sure what you mean. After linking you can click on the image to get it to enlarge a little more as they are almost full sized as they appear.

nikv, according to Munz and Jepson, the species occurs into Marin County.
Apparently in Mt. Tamalpais State Park. I would check out any weather history available for the state park and see how long their lows persist maybe you might have a spot in your yard that might work??? I keep the depotted seedlings in vernalization at 36F for 3 months.
You could experiment if you can maintain lows in the low 40s for the same period. Possibly maintain a viable population though flowering might be another issue?? They are not that hard to grow as potted plants which is my only option just need an excellent draining substrate and plenty of moisture.
They tend to occur on natural seeps in the mountains with some exposure to direct sun.

When I saw them growing in Northern California about 10 miles from Crescent City they were growing in full sun in a ditch with darlingtonia and pinguicula. Saw them at two other sites both with water running through the roots.

Dido, I presume you mean if Spangle Creek Labs offer the other species??
California has only two other species: C. fasciculatum and C. montanum.
I have not seen either in person just on the net.

I was meaning if you know any fasciculatum place, or if you have seen them.
I am a big fan of the colour and would love to get one.
Not one can tell me if any lab or nursery have one in the Us.
At least it would be great to get pollen for crossing. ;)

Latest posts

Back