Cyp reginae f. albolabium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
Sorry guys, just a seedling :poke:. I was bored so I decided to take a picture of it. It hasn't finished leafing out yet, and is currently about 2 inches in height. I bought it last year; this is its second year out of flask. Cyps are REALLY tiny as seedlings; you can lose them really easy when repotting, and they are also really easy to kill. But this little guy is goin' strong. It had three buds but so far only two are leafing out, it may abort the third one. I am hoping it will be big enough next year to plant out, I guess we'll see. It is also a bit early leafing out and I will have to alter the cycle a bit, and give it a longer dormancy next year so it has a more natural cycle.

Just a seedling but cute just the same. How tall/old does reginae have to be to be blooming size? Mine had leafed growth that matured at about 10" last year...not sure how old it would be.

Just a seedling but cute just the same. How tall/old does reginae have to be to be blooming size? Mine had leafed growth that matured at about 10" last year...not sure how old it would be.

Cyp. reginae can grow over 2' tall, but mine bloomed at about 12" - 16". Your plant sounds basically blooming size. If it doesn't bloom this year, you might want to make sure it is getting about 4 hours of direct sun in the morning/afternoon, but shaded mid-day. It likes a good deal of light and water, but not soaking wet.

Cyp. reginae can grow over 2' tall, but mine bloomed at about 12" - 16". Your plant sounds basically blooming size. If it doesn't bloom this year, you might want to make sure it is getting about 4 hours of direct sun in the morning/afternoon, but shaded mid-day. It likes a good deal of light and water, but not soaking wet.

I agree. My reginae have flowered at about a foot high. It generally takes about 5 years out of flask for them to flower, sometimes 4 or 6. Wendy, your plant is probably around 5 years old now.

From my observations of plants in the wild, the amount of light it gets greatly affects the height. Don't know the exact measurements, but plants growing in full sun are much shorter and usually single growths, while those in part shade can get huge, with multi-growths and darker flowers. I would say, if given proper growing conditions, Cyp. reginae should bloom at around 5 years. Age is the factor, not height.

Thanks to you too Kevin.

Here's a photo of my Cyp reginae....:rolleyes: :D

Attachments

• 2009_0224buds0032.JPG
    2009_0224buds0032.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 16
From my observations of plants in the wild, the amount of light it gets greatly affects the height. Don't know the exact measurements, but plants growing in full sun are much shorter and usually single growths, while those in part shade can get huge, with multi-growths and darker flowers. I would say, if given proper growing conditions, Cyp. reginae should bloom at around 5 years. Age is the factor, not height.

It is true that height seems to vary by light intensity, but seedlings also increase in height every year. Therefore both parameters can be used to determine approximately when a plant will bloom. I noted also the age range that reginae will typically bloom at. My height estimates are based on plants grown under dappled light with a little direct morning sun - the ideal light conditions for this species. Under such conditions it is possible to grow specimens that approach three feet in height - but only when they have some years under their belt. A plant blooming for the first or second time has probably not yet reached its full potential for size.

Thanks to you too Kevin.

Here's a photo of my Cyp reginae....:rolleyes: :D

It looks like it is a Heritage reginae? The one I got from them flowered the year after I got it. They are good quality and most of the ones I come across in nurseries will bloom the following year.

It looks like a what!?!? Oh well, is it time to take mine out of the fridge yet?!? I don't think so, it's supposed to snow Sunday night. I'm going to keep acquiring them and putting them into the gardens downstairs until I have a colony!

It looks like a what!?!? Oh well, is it time to take mine out of the fridge yet?!? I don't think so, it's supposed to snow Sunday night. I'm going to keep acquiring them and putting them into the gardens downstairs until I have a colony!

When I said "Heritage" I was referring to Heritage Perennials, a company in Canada that mass-propagates and sells reginae and pubescens wholesale. Their plants can be found in nurseries across Canada, with distinctive blue tags.

Most Cyps need a minimum of 3 months vernalization. After that, they can come out. Many people give the hardier species like reginae 4 months. We just got a foot of snow here, and I have a reginae that is about to bloom!

I thought vernalization is a seasonal resting. Shouldn't that match the weather?

Ideally, but it doesn't have to. As long as you replicate (as in fake) seasons for the plant, it will grow. It is quite common to have a slightly altered schedule for Cyps to show them at this time of the year. If you want to plant them outside however, you need to follow the seasons.

I've heard that it can hurt a Cyp. in the long term if you force it every year. Not sure if that's true, and I don't see why, if you are giving it the dormant period. But, maybe for the cooler growing ones, like our natives, the longer dormancy is better for them in the long run. Any comments?

I've heard that it can hurt a Cyp. in the long term if you force it every year. Not sure if that's true, and I don't see why, if you are giving it the dormant period. But, maybe for the cooler growing ones, like our natives, the longer dormancy is better for them in the long run. Any comments?

I would say that as long as the plant gets a chance to grow during the season, and gets at least 3 months (preferably 4 months for hardier ones) dormancy, it should be fine. You just alter the plant's schedule a little. For example, if I wanted a reginae to bloom in February every year, I might start vernalizing it in September and take it out in January. By September it would be brown anyway and would want to go into dormancy. Here in Edmonton, a regiane would naturally grow from May to September or October, so basically all you are doing is shortening its dormancy period from 6 or 7 months to 4 months, which is all it needs. This probably sounds strange to American growers (and yes Kevin I realize you are Canadian), who only have 3 or 4 month winters, but here, our winters are LONG and the reginaes don't start emerging until late in May, bloom in late June/early July, and brown in September, with freezing temperatures always present by mid October. Cyp reginae, and many other Cyps native to Canada, also grow in warmer areas than Canada and don't need the really long 5-6 month+ winters for dormancy. 4 months is plenty.

One species that I would say this probably does apply to is Cyp passerinum, which I don't think even occurs in the States (save perhaps Alaska), and if it does only in the extreme north. That guy likes a nice long, cold winter, which is why many people have trouble growing it (plus it doesn't do too well in really hot summers).

Latest posts

Back