Cyp reginae at the farmers market

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heritage Perennials ships reginae seedlings to nurseries across Canada each year (though this year they had a crop failure).

I was wondering why there are no cyps and other terrestrial orchids from Heritage Perennial this year! So that's why...

I was wondering why there are no cyps and other terrestrial orchids from Heritage Perennial this year! So that's why...

Well I can't speak for orchids other than reginae, but I was calling around to places in Edmonton and Calgary hunting for reginaes (because you can't have too many!) and I heard from multiple nursery managers that there was a reginae crop failure and only a few were available this year, and they sold out very quickly.

Heritage Perennials ships reginae seedlings to nurseries across Canada each year

Really? I've never seen them here. I hope someone brings them in. Good to hear there are reputable sources of seed-grown cyps - you can't be too sure that someone hasn't just dug them out of a ditch! Can you order direct from them? All I've seen here for sale are small and large yellows, and all have been dug out of the wild, or are divisions of wild plants, by people who have 'licences' to 'rescue' plants.

Really? I've never seen them here. I hope someone brings them in. Good to hear there are reputable sources of seed-grown cyps - you can't be too sure that someone hasn't just dug them out of a ditch! Can you order direct from them? All I've seen here for sale are small and large yellows, and all have been dug out of the wild, or are divisions of wild plants, by people who have 'licences' to 'rescue' plants.

Heritage sells by wholesale only. Go to www.perennials.com and search for a dealer near you, then go there and see if they ever order them. If not, they may order some for you next year. Heritage also does Cyp pubescens, Bletilla and Dactylorhiza praetermissa.

Thanks. I know of Heritage Perennials, but I have never seen orchids, other than the occasional Bletilla, being sold.

I think I need a bowl of PHO. I think I need some Spring Rolls.
Im going to the 1446 Holly Pike location of the FARMERS MARKET...
and go to Quys Spring Rolls. This will solve this conundrum.
1 mile s of I 81 on RT 34....

On the same vein, I recently went to the local small nursery round the corner. They had the very first Cyp I've ever seen at a local nursery. It was Cyp reginae, 2-3 growth for $30. Not bad. Portland, OR is about 1000mi from the nearest Cyp reginae so some growers are really expanding their sales range! I don't know from which propagator it was, though.

Sadly, I didn't. All current funds are diverted to the greenhouse to get it up and running by November 1, when the first cold usually comes... I still need a heater, a fan, a thermostat, poly walls and... a door. More plants are hardly at the top of the list.

Latest posts

Back