Cyp reginae at the farmers market

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaphMadMan

phytomanic
Reaction score
I thought everyone might enjoy these Cyp reginae in bloom at the farmers market.

cypreginaeFM.jpg

Pretty cool!!!! So nice to see these at local markets...hehe Did you get any???

somebody's a funny guy....
i think this plant is also known as nerve root as the rhizome causes contact dermatitis in some people.

The leaves cause rashes on some people because they are covered in hairs. The roots were used as a nerve tonic, although I don't think as commonly in reginae as in parviflorum or acaule.

I think even the big box stores would carry some if they were just a bit more easy in the garden.

You can't clone them and they take too long to get to blooming size. Limited supply and high cost will continue to keep them with specialty growers.

You can't clone them and they take too long to get to blooming size. Limited supply and high cost will continue to keep them with specialty growers.

Actually, some Cyps (including reginae) have been meristemed successfully, although I don't think the procedure for mass producing them has been figured out yet. Seed propagation is straight forward these days for this and other species, so growing them in bulk is possible. Grown optimally these can be flowering size in 4-6 years, not an impossibly long period. Certainly many orchids fall within that category and they can be found in various retail outlets.

Actually, some Cyps (including reginae) have been meristemed successfully, although I don't think the procedure for mass producing them has been figured out yet. Seed propagation is straight forward these days for this and other species, so growing them in bulk is possible. Grown optimally these can be flowering size in 4-6 years, not an impossibly long period. Certainly many orchids fall within that category and they can be found in various retail outlets.

And with successful seed propagation becoming routine, that 4-6 years to flower can probably be reduced to 2-4 years with just a couple more generations of selection. Starting from wild stock the first few generations of selection for faster, easier, better plants can make huge strides.

Heritage Perennials ships reginae seedlings to nurseries across Canada each year (though this year they had a crop failure). Most years you can find the seedlings at several nurseries here in Edmonton - each nursery carries a stock of around 20 plants. So, assuming most or all the major Canadian garden centres carry a similar number of stock, you can probably call that mass production as well. Plus, the plants are $35 and will bloom the next year, and they are very vigorous seedlings.

Latest posts

Back