cyp. parvi var parvi + more in virginia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a net search earlier and for the short time I looked at the list it was mostly sites in the uk that seemed to have them for sale. I did see results for grandiflorum roseum but didn't see us sites for sale

Probably have to know someone who has it, and then barter.

Years ago at Carson Whitlow's place - he had clumps of Cyp pubescens in bloom and a large clump of Cyp parviflorum. In addition to the differences in appearance, the fragrances were quite different. The Cyp parviflorum had a floral fragrance with a distinct rancid butter note in the fragrance. The Cyp. pubescens had a fruity floral fragrance, with a mango or peach note to the fragrance, very delightful. While not usually used for taxonomy - fragrances are good markers for the biochemisrty of the plant, and having different fragrances does point to selection for different pollinators.

I did a net search earlier and for the short time I looked at the list it was mostly sites in the uk that seemed to have them for sale. I did see results for grandiflorum roseum but didn't see us sites for sale

http://www.rareplants.co.uk/ has a T. Grand. Ros. but I think it is as shell pink hybrid and not the flower in your photo. This Trill opens a good pink, and deepens as it ages. Most Grandiflorum will pink up as they age but not to that extent. I think some of the Scots garden collectors have had Roseum for some time, they have some huge display clumps - in the Lowlands somewhere?
51X05DQB9TL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

there was something I was wondering about at work today... if the pink grandiflorum is a different variety, then if there is a population of the red trilliums, and there are a few clumps that come up almost all white except for some veining that is red, is that a different variety or just near-albinism?
along the old erie canal trail very near my apartment there is a spot that has the largest population of red trilliums I've seen around, and there are some good numbers around upstate ny.

...and these aren't just a few white trilliums growing in with the reds, these populations don't mix along the trail and there are actually very few whites along there

there was something I was wondering about at work today... if the pink grandiflorum is a different variety, then if there is a population of the red trilliums, and there are a few clumps that come up almost all white except for some veining that is red, is that a different variety or just near-albinism?
along the old erie canal trail very near my apartment there is a spot that has the largest population of red trilliums I've seen around, and there are some good numbers around upstate ny.

...and these aren't just a few white trilliums growing in with the reds, these populations don't mix along the trail and there are actually very few whites along there

Getting in over my head here, but some Trilliums are red, just not Grandiflorum. The Roseum group is found in the wild only in the Blue Ridge, or so I have read. I have decided to get the Rareplants.uk Roseum anyhow, even with $35 for the CITES cert. Nice Galanthus selection also, and a frit treasure trove, but I will be too busy killing Cyps to kill any rare Frittilarys.

i may have tried to put too many thoughts into my last post! There are two (more actually) trilliums in NY; trillium grandiflorum and trillium erectum (white and red trilliums). Down in the central atlantic region there are trillium grandiflorum usually white but one variety that grows pink instead. Up here there is a spot with a ton of trillium erectum, except there are a few clumps here and there that are almost all white. Just some red veining. They definitely aren't trillium grandiflorum. Should these red trilliums that are now white have a different variety name or are they just recognized as 'somewhat albino' trillium erectum? The flowers open this way, so it also isn't just a faded, old flower.
Just for the record there are at least two other trilliums in our area of NY; painted and nodding trillium.

i may have tried to put too many thoughts into my last post! There are two (more actually) trilliums in NY; trillium grandiflorum and trillium erectum (white and red trilliums). Down in the central atlantic region there are trillium grandiflorum usually white but one variety that grows pink instead. Up here there is a spot with a ton of trillium erectum, except there are a few clumps here and there that are almost all white. Just some red veining. They definitely aren't trillium grandiflorum. Should these red trilliums that are now white have a different variety name or are they just recognized as 'somewhat albino' trillium erectum? The flowers open this way, so it also isn't just a faded, old flower.
Just for the record there are at least two other trilliums in our area of NY; painted and nodding trillium.

I have never seen painted trillium for sale. I would like to take a crack at that one year.

I have never seen painted trillium for sale. I would like to take a crack at that one year.

Apparently the Painted Trillium is impossible outside its native habitat. Thanks to Don Jacobs of Eco Gardens in GA for a great trillium book. Great plant list also for southern wildflowers to companion the orchids. I may have a source for the real pink grandiflorum. Sorry to bring the tone of this forum down with all of this trillium talk.

Latest posts

Back