Cyp newbie in NoVA

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Nic

Hi my name is Nic - I live in Fairfax County Virginia. I am foolishly trying to establish Cyps in my hot and humid shade garden, and flowered a yellow ladyslipper this year. I hope that the other 2 are just experiencing a 2 year dormancy. Kentuckinese is doing well, but no flowers yet. Just put in Gisela and pubescens, both doing well. Hope to glean some suggestions here. thanks.

Welcome to the forum. What kind of beds or medium do you have them planted in?

Welcome to the forum. What kind of beds or medium do you have them planted in?

My native soil, with amendments, leafgrow, which is composted city collection leaves from Maryland, composted Cow manure, and pine bark. They seem to be doing allright, and I have no intent to move the Yellow Parviflorum, which is not uncommon in the wild near here. It flowered this spring so I feel that I have established it. If I can keep it I might end up with a nice clump. The Kentuckinese I think will flower next year, it has 2 stems and looks quite happy. The others came out of a fridge and into 98 degree heat 2 weeks ago, but look fine now. I hope Gisela will do OK - I am worried about the heat. I have been advised that Aki would be a better choice for this area. I am looking at some locations to move them to, and could do a nice bed amendment, oyster shell etc. Any suggestions welcome. I assume all are rabbit/deer-proof. I am looking for a trillium grandiflorum roseum if anyone knows of any. Sorry for bringing down the tone of this forum by mentioning a humble Trillium.

I should add that I have a wooden retaining wall which drains these beds perfectly. I read that some Cyps do very well under pines, in dry shade. In which case, I could do well, as I have a hard time in the area directly under the white pines growing anything. Dry well drained full shade? Perhaps a challenge for a plant that requires 2 hours of late or early sunshine a day?

welcome nic! I lived in leesburg for a short time a while back though back to upstate ny. I would wonder if a pink ladyslipper would do well in a bed containing manure or any amount of compost/fertilizer. I think it might do better just in what the original ground was under the pines. Often a dry, acidic spot is just right for them though they can be found in moist acidic conditions just above a water table (but are very well drained). good luck!

Welcome Nic! I am in Falls Church. I did not know you could grow cyps in our area. I would have to do some work in my yard, but at the moment I have my hands full with the orchids inside the house.
Good luck with your cyps!

Nic,

Lived in Farifax while attending GW and working my way through school as manager at the Lee Hwy Multiplex. Old ass place, but was the highest grossing theater in the greater DC area (DC, Baltimore, Richmond and all points between).
Good luck with the cyps! Not my specialty, but you'll find sound advice here.

-Ernie

Welcome Nic! I am in Falls Church. I did not know you could grow cyps in our area. I would have to do some work in my yard, but at the moment I have my hands full with the orchids inside the house.
Good luck with your cyps!

Yes we can grow Cyps, but they are not as easy as Bletilla.

Latest posts

Back