Cymbidium goeringii 'Tian Cao'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Korea, the habitat of both C.goeringii and C.kanran overlap. C.kanran only occurs in one island in the farthest south while C.goeringii occurs in pretty much all over the South Korea due to global warming. Their northern most range was much lower in the past.
The winter day average temperature in C.kanran habitat is around 3C (37.4F). So, they do have pretty cold winter months. It also snows a lot in their habitat. Interestingly, the summer is cooler in the kanran habitat due to ocean current.
So, in short, goeringii withstand lower winter temperature and higher summer temperature a little better.
Under cultivation, both species will grow perfectly fine given that the growing conditions is focused on the requirements of kanran.

In Korea, the habitat of both C.goeringii and C.kanran overlap. C.kanran only occurs in one island in the farthest south while C.goeringii occurs in pretty much all over the South Korea due to global warming. Their northern most range was much lower in the past.
The winter day average temperature in C.kanran habitat is around 3C (37.4F). So, they do have pretty cold winter months. It also snows a lot in their habitat. Interestingly, the summer is cooler in the kanran habitat due to ocean current.
So, in short, goeringii withstand lower winter temperature and higher summer temperature a little better.
Under cultivation, both species will grow perfectly fine given that the growing conditions is focused on the requirements of kanran.

I’m eating up this thread. What about potting mix(es) please? Thank you.

I’m eating up this thread. What about potting mix(es) please? Thank you.

In Korea and Japan where these plants are common and very popular, the potting mix are also common. I have not seen any of the same stuff here in the US. I'm not quite sure what exactly they are in English, but they are light tan and very light weight. Pumice perhaps? not sure.
It comes in three sizes for layering inside those long slender pot typically used for Asian Cymbidiums. Largest particle at the bottom, then medium sized particle in the middle, then finished with the smallest grade at the top third or so. Now this is the most basic and many people follow this although some people come up with their own variations.

However, any other orchid mix should work and they don't have to be potted in tall slender pots unless you are going to compete at shows in the Far East. haha. Any well draining potting mix will do.

The potting mix used for all Asian Cymbidiums is called Asian Cymbidium potting mix 東洋蘭土 (Touyouran tsuchi). The translation is touyouran = Asian Cymbidiums, and tsuchi = soil. This mix is composed of 3 pumices/soil which is kanuma (鹿沼土), akadama (赤玉土), and satsuma (薩摩土). This mix provides the perfect pH, perfect aeration for the roots, correct balance of wetness/moisture for the whole root system, and provides stickiness to the root system. This is the only mix I use for all my C. goeringii, cannot use anything else (I did a litle summer project many years ago, and this is the only potting material that worked). You use anything else, C. goeringii will decline and die. In other mixes, C. goeringii won't grow because it won't roots. Even if it grows roots, the roots won't stick/attach to the potting mix. I purchased the Asian Cymbidium mix directly from Japan, not avaiable in North America.

Latest posts

Back