Cymbidium elegans & iridioides

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Both are currently in flower for me. Not commonly grown. For some reason unlike other orchid genera, Cymbidium growers don't tend to grow species much. Not sure if that is the case elsewhere.

David

Cymbidium elegans

elegans2009.jpg

Cymbidium iridioides 'Sandown'

iridioides2009.jpg

iridioides20092.jpg

That elegans is fantastic! I've never known that cymbidiums could look like that!

Amazing both, although I love the colour of iridioides more!!! Wish I could grow cyms...:(

Both are great! I have 2 Cym iridiodes which I have not bloomed yet. I hope they are as nice!

WOW. This is an old post. More than a decade ago.

i wonder if David still has his?

Sorry, just got back from climbing Australia's ten highest mountains with my daughter. :)

No, I no longer have mine Stephen. I can't even remember what happened to it. I was growing it outside in some pretty cold conditions (well below freezing in winter. It did alright for a while but I suspect the temperatures were a little too extreme in the end.

Now that I have my new cool house, I am getting back to growing species Cymbidiums. So I will have to try and find another elegans and other species. I have a whole lot on order, but because of current circumstances I won't get those to next autumn. One of those include hookerianum which I particularly like.

On another note, it is only just come to my attention (from the seller) that the Cymbidium iridioides 'Sandown' above is in fact a primary hybrid of iridioides and erythraeum. I still have this plant.

Cymbidium traceyanum is another species worthy of the space. It is truly exotic and very fragrant also.
re elegans: mine sees as low as 42F.
species Cyms be a little more fussy that the hybirds but absolutely worth it

I have a couple of traceyanum. I particularly like this species. The only problem is I just can't get it to flower.

Latest posts

Back