Cross idea for parnatanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reivilos

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I've got a parnatanum in bud.
What would you cross it with?
I intend to sib cross when the other ones are in bud. But for now I'd like to try something new.
Thanks
Olivier

What would be your goal in trying something new?
Parnatanum is similar to argus, wardii, sukhakulii, therefore one might assume that crosses would result in something similar. Are there any of those crosses that are appealing to you? Bottomline is what's available to you. I'd definitely go with a sib X. Are these first bloom plants?

Well that's the problem. I had a look at slipperorchids.info, and the only primary cross I find nice is Cotice. Maybe a few are unlisted there, that's why I was looking for ideas...

I have 2 mature plants (didn't keep any pollen), and 3 BS seedlings, but a single one in bud.

Thats and interesting one, which clour do you focus, could send Pollen friom Golddollar or from micranthum, stonei or Cilioare(in a few days) if you want.
Yellow and compact could be an interesting thing.

As it isn't quite a common species I would go for a sib. Save the pollen and use it on one of your other parnatanums later.

parnatanum might eventually have the same impact in breeding as javanicum or schoseri.
Options:
a) help preserve the species and sib/self it.
b) get your name on record as a hybrid registrant. Cross partner doesn't matter.
c) Evaluate what this species actually does in breeding. Repeat numerous crosses that have already been made with sukhakulii, wardii, hennisianum or masatresianum. Do only crosses with Barbata species or hybrids. Report the results (here or in a journal article). I would speculate that it actually washes out colour in crosses, since it has almost no colour itself.

Alright, thanks for your inputs.
I'll self the only one that's flowering and sib the next when they flower.

The sugiyamnum are about to bloom too, I guess I'll do the same (self then sib):
sugiyamnum.jpg

Latest posts

Back