Critter Help

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the Bayer Advanced Rose & Bloom and sprayed all the orchids. Directions say that after one hour it is rain proof which I took it to mean that after an hour the plant had absorbed all it was going to or enough to be effective. It also said that it kept killing for a month or so (do not have the bottle her at work and do not remember exactly) but that for heavy infestations it should be reapplied at 7 to 14 days intervals.

I did notice, when I was spraying, that the "Dragons Blood" I applied to the bottom of the leaves that had the pitting from mites, I think, was stopped and not spreading anymore. Question. Now that the mites seem to have been killed do I wash the Dragons Blood off?

I remember that in one of the several discussions about dragons’ blood someone said that one of the reasons that it worked was because it smothered the insects and kept fungus spores from spreading by sealing them in. If this is true is it not sealing the openings through which the plant "breathes" and transpires moisture? I know on mine the dragon’s blood looks like varnish and one leaf is 80% coated and another, on the same plant, is 50% coated.

I remember that in one of the several discussions about dragons’ blood someone said that one of the reasons that it worked was because it smothered the insects and kept fungus spores from spreading by sealing them in. If this is true is it not sealing the openings through which the plant "breathes" and transpires moisture? I know on mine the dragon’s blood looks like varnish and one leaf is 80% coated and another, on the same plant, is 50% coated.

Where did you get your DB? The first time I got DB it was in an alcohol base & it is kinda thick & goey. The DB from Lance is not.
I doubt that it smothers, it wouldn't take much to drown an insect or a spore, to me that's alot different.

I bought the Bayer Advanced Rose & Bloom and sprayed all the orchids. Directions say that after one hour it is rain proof which I took it to mean that after an hour the plant had absorbed all it was going to or enough to be effective. It also said that it kept killing for a month or so (do not have the bottle her at work and do not remember exactly) but that for heavy infestations it should be reapplied at 7 to 14 days intervals.

I did notice, when I was spraying, that the "Dragons Blood" I applied to the bottom of the leaves that had the pitting from mites, I think, was stopped and not spreading anymore. Question. Now that the mites seem to have been killed do I wash the Dragons Blood off?

I put some Liquid Bayer Advanced in the hydroponic to get rid of the mealies . I am very surprised that the mites (the other problem) seems to leave those plants' new growths alone now (I don't think Bayer advance listed for mites, that is why I am surprised).
I start to have new unblemished growth , which impossible before. I will watch it a little bit more and maybe put Bayer Advance liquid to the rest of the collection.

I lost two spikes, which I contribute to getting/leaving too much of the insecticide in the crown. One was the only venustum I have and one of the few orchids I have that blooms in the winter.

Latest posts

Back