Compactish growing Phrags?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
Just playing with the thought of maybe getting another Phrag. The two I have, Green Hornet and Sunset Glow, are such easy to care for plants, so I thought I might consider getting another one.

I'm planning on giving away some of my Phals to create some space, but space is still limited since some idiot ran off and bought a bunch of multi Paphs. I really need to confiscate the cats' credit cards...

So, a Phrag hybrid that doesn't get gigantic and is relatively easy.

I've checked the vendors and chosen possible candidates from what they have available. I've only chosen the ones I like the flowers on, so I have no idea whether or not they are difficult (some I can guess) or how big they can get. I hope you can help me with that. :eek:

From Elsner (she has the most interesting Phrags):
Phrag. Barbara LeAnn
Phrag. Eumelia Arias
Phrag. Fritz Schomburg
Phrag. Jersey
Phrag. Perufloras Cirilia Alca
Phrag. Jason Fischer

Ohter possible candidates are:
Phrag. Mem Dick Clements
Phrag. Andean Fire
Phrag. Hanne Popow x besseae

From Asendorfer:
Phrag. Living Fire
Phrag. Jason Fischer x Sunset Glow (have a feeling this one can get big)

From a Swedish vendor:
Phrag. Eric Young
Phrag. Sendenii

Of all these, I must say that Phrag Barbara LeAnn and Phrag Jason Fischer are the ones looking the most interesting.

If you are looking for Phrags that stay small you should look for plants with fischeri, andreetae, and ecuadorense in the background. Of all the plants listed above, only Phrag Barbara LeAnn would stay small, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Are there hybrids based on Phrag kaieteurum? The (sub)species (or variety) seems to be pretty compact (or at least mine is pretty small, around 15cm for the length of a single leaf).

You are shopping for mini Grande.
Good luck getting that one.
I fertilized mine to death unfortunately.

Are there hybrids based on Phrag kaieteurum? The (sub)species (or variety) seems to be pretty compact (or at least mine is pretty small, around 15cm for the length of a single leaf).
NO, it is listed as a variety of longifolium, hartwegii would be a good small alternative.

Phrag klotszcheanum

Correct my friend!

Also, a good many of the plants you mentioned can get pretty big, to be honest.

Phrag. Barbara LeAnn - Fairly compact. Decent choice.
Phrag. Eumelia Arias - Can get big. Foliage is narrow, but often gets very long.
Phrag. Fritz Schomburg - Can get big.
Phrag. Jersey - Individual growths are compact, but can produce runners & take up a lot of space.
Phrag. Perufloras Cirilia Alca - Can get big.
Phrag. Jason Fischer - Can get big. Particularly polyploid varieties. Some are on the medium side in terms of size.

Phrag. Mem Dick Clements - Same as Jason Fischer. Some get big, particularly 3N and 4N plants.
Phrag. Andean Fire - Same as Jason Fischer. Some get big, particularly 3N and 4N plants.
Phrag. Hanne Popow x besseae - Likely to stay small, at least individual growths. Tendency to produce runners.

From Asendorfer:
Phrag. Living Fire - Gets big.
Phrag. Jason Fischer x Sunset Glow (have a feeling this one can get big) - Will get big.

From a Swedish vendor:
Phrag. Eric Young - Depends on which varieties of longifolium and bessea are used, but good candidate for compact hybrid.
Phrag. Sendenii - I believe these can get big.

-- I can't guarantee that my interpretation is entirely 100% accurate, but I think you'll find that overall, my responses will give you an idea of good choices versus bad choices.

Thank you for all your answers. :)

It was pretty much as I suspected about the Phrags I had listed.

I have no idea, and it doesn't say. My guess is they're not.

Phrag klotszcheanum
Small, but a species and I'm staying away from those, and none of the vendors seem to have any hybrids with it as a parent.

Also, a good many of the plants you mentioned can get pretty big, to be honest.

Phrag. Barbara LeAnn - Fairly compact. Decent choice.
Phrag. Eumelia Arias - Can get big. Foliage is narrow, but often gets very long.
Phrag. Fritz Schomburg - Can get big.
Phrag. Jersey - Individual growths are compact, but can produce runners & take up a lot of space.
Phrag. Perufloras Cirilia Alca - Can get big.
Phrag. Jason Fischer - Can get big. Particularly polyploid varieties. Some are on the medium side in terms of size.

Phrag. Mem Dick Clements - Same as Jason Fischer. Some get big, particularly 3N and 4N plants.
Phrag. Andean Fire - Same as Jason Fischer. Some get big, particularly 3N and 4N plants.
Phrag. Hanne Popow x besseae - Likely to stay small, at least individual growths. Tendency to produce runners.

From Asendorfer:
Phrag. Living Fire - Gets big.
Phrag. Jason Fischer x Sunset Glow (have a feeling this one can get big) - Will get big.

From a Swedish vendor:
Phrag. Eric Young - Depends on which varieties of longifolium and bessea are used, but good candidate for compact hybrid.
Phrag. Sendenii - I believe these can get big.

-- I can't guarantee that my interpretation is entirely 100% accurate, but I think you'll find that overall, my responses will give you an idea of good choices versus bad choices.
Thank you very much for taking the time and give me an estimation. Barbara LeAnn is top choice then, and I could ask if the Jason Fischer is polyploid or not (only says its NBS and an imported plant).

Thank you very much for taking the time and give me an estimation. Barbara LeAnn is top choice then, and I could ask if the Jason Fischer is polyploid or not (only says its NBS and an imported plant).

You're quite welcome. I'm glad I could help. I hope you find something wonderful! Phrags are really cool slipper orchids.

You're quite welcome. I'm glad I could help. I hope you find something wonderful! Phrags are really cool slipper orchids.
They definitely are, and they are quite easy if you're lucky enough to have conditions that fit them. :D

I have now sent an email to Mrs. Elsner and asked about the Barbara LeAnn and the Jason Fischer. Let's see if my two Phrags will get some new friends.

Barbara LeAnn was sold out! :sob: :sob:

Good news; the Jason Fischer is not a polyploid varitey.

I would've loved a Barbara LeAnn... Oh, well. Not much I can do.

Sooo, now what? A Jason Fischer and? Or maybe I should just settle for the Jason Fischer. I thought I had to get another one to reach the minimum order value, but the Jason clears that all on its own. :p

I'd like to nominate "compactish" as a new orchid word. I like it and it gets
the point across quite well. Congratulations Therese, you made a fiiiine
word.
It's a great word, right? I should get a job as a coiner of new English words. :rollhappy:

Back