Chicagoland Orchid Fest

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was great to meet you, Rose. I was sorely tempted to grab the roth x tigrinum, but had blown my budget already. I was glad to see a forum member nd good grower come by and take it. (When I'm out of money, I love to run around and play the enabler for others) :evil:

BTW, it was also great to see Jim Blanford at Natt's on Saturday and Leo at Oak Hill. :)

It must have been very tempting!!! Rose, that Cyc. must be great!!! I surely should have purchased one for my collection...:) Thank you all for sharing!

Chris, one thing I do to decrease the size of my photos is to go to paint program, open the photo, and select image->stretch/skew and when the window pops up, put a percentage below 100% in horizontal and vertical gaps concerning stretch! But it must be the same percentage in both gaps! It works for me and I guess it will work for you! :D

It was great to meet you, Rose. I was sorely tempted to grab the roth x tigrinum, but had blown my budget already. I was glad to see a forum member nd good grower come by and take it. (When I'm out of money, I love to run around and play the enabler for others) :evil:

BTW, it was also great to see Jim Blanford at Natt's on Saturday and Leo at Oak Hill. :)

Great to meet you as well Ross & thanks for the enabling! Seems like a nice group of people as well. Can you give us some details on how you guys work your bus trip?

Great to meet you as well Ross & thanks for the enabling! Seems like a nice group of people as well. Can you give us some details on how you guys work your bus trip?

I had a blast at the Chicago land orchid festival. I would highly recommend it to anyone. I was curious who Ross was talking to by the paphs but I know now. (goldenrose)

The Orchid Society of Minnesota has sponsored this bus trip since before I became a member in about 1999. A committee of two wonderful women arrange the trip, booking the bus and hotel rooms. We even have had the same bus driver every year. Around April, Sarah makes the first announcement concerning the trip and sign up is open to the members, who commit to the trip by paying in advance. If one bus is booked, it is announced at the next meeting and we are told how many more commitments are needed to book a second bus. If there are still extra places available, they are opened to the general public (a great member recruiting tool) after the August meeting. Everything is finalized around Labor Day. Cost this year was $180 per person, double occupancy, for the bus, and two nights lodging at a nice hotel. The hotel had a complimentary warm breakfast and the orchid greenhouses provided wonderful lunches, so the only meals we paid for were Friday Lunch and Dinner, Saturday Dinner and Sunday dinner. The trip starts at 7:00 AM in St Paul and includes an extra stop on Friday noon at Orchids Garden Center (formerly Orchids by the Ackers). We then arrive at Windsong Friday afternoon, go to Natts and Oak Hill on Saturday, and Hausermanns on Sunday morning before heading home.

I feel that these trips are an excellent way for members to get to know each other better as we have lots of time to talk. The synergy of shopping with so many friends who all have orchid specialties leads to some pretty wild buying sprees. We all love to enable! Overall, I believe the bus trip creates a wonderful bond between society members that helps to keep our group active and strong.:)

Here's what I got:
Geoffrey Hands $25 - Ross it's yours if I can't bloom it!
Dellense (mastersianum x roth) - 2 mat.gr. $20
(Black Stallion x Joanne's Wine) x Wizard of Oz $5
(Clarissa x Mod Maude) x Wizard of Oz $5
Cyc. Wine's Delight -3 chunky canes, not in bloom $12.50....

Hey! Rose, :poke: You got one of my orchids, look, the one with my name on it... gimme...:D

I had a blast at the Chicago land orchid festival. I would highly recommend it to anyone. I was curious who Ross was talking to by the paphs but I know now. (goldenrose)

What a shame we didn't meet! OK I know I shoulda/coulda had a name tag, there's next year! Ross was like a sitting duck, I bought one of his helenae crosses so the name was fresh in my mind & with your name tags, it was sooo easy!

Hey! Rose, :poke: You got one of my orchids, look, the one with my name on it... gimme...:D
:rollhappy::rollhappy: It's a winner! Joanne's Wine is a nice one & has been used alot in breeding. There were 3 reasons I bought this plant, OK -4:
1. I liked the names of the parents, hopefully it will be a vini!
2. I liked the foliage - flushed purple on the upperside of the leaf, as well as under.
3. It only cost $5, worth a shot, why not!
4. Ross was enabling!
If this isn't comical already - here's the topper - I don't particularly care for maudiae types! Am I weak or what?

...Am I weak or what?

Heavens no! Probably just addicted. :rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

Besides, how could anyone go to an orchid show and not buy orchids???? I've already cleared off another shelf to make room for this weekend's upcoming orchid show purchases myself...:evil:

Latest posts

Back