Charcoal in mixes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So judging by the comments, I should hunt down that bag of zeolite again. They were nice consistant 8-10mm pieces, a bit like a fine gravel. It did make the pots a bit heavier when I was using it. (5 parts bark, 1 part chopped shagnum, 1 part coarse perlite and 1 part zeolite) We also have ready access to hardwood charcoal coming out of Namibia, perhaps I should add that in as well, just dont know how to beak it up and grade it without making a hell of a mess.

Zeolite's best thing is for softening water by grabbing and holding Calcium. Is that what you want to happen in your media? Are plant roots going to be able to access the Calcium the zeolite holds?

If there is a bulk dealer for the Namibian charcoal they will likely have a hell of a mess in their shop. Their floor sweepings are perfect. Here in Peru they sell these chips and scraps to the poorest people in small bags.
To crush bigger pieces I make a small pile between 2 sheets of plywood and then drive a car over it a few times, then sift it through a couple different screens. Makes a mess but it is not as bad as hitting each piece with a hammer!

Zeolite's best thing is for softening water by grabbing and holding Calcium. Is that what you want to happen in your media? Are plant roots going to be able to access the Calcium the zeolite holds?

If there is a bulk dealer for the Namibian charcoal they will likely have a hell of a mess in their shop. Their floor sweepings are perfect. Here in Peru they sell these chips and scraps to the poorest people in small bags.
To crush bigger pieces I make a small pile between 2 sheets of plywood and then drive a car over it a few times, then sift it through a couple different screens. Makes a mess but it is not as bad as hitting each piece with a hammer!

I don't actually have any intention with the zeolite, I bought it years ago from the same supplier as my perlite. I was looking for a 'new best' ingredient for my potting mix. I used it for a short while on a few paphs, but then got scared as I was worried that it would 'steal' too many nutrients from my plants.
As far as driving over a few bags of charcoal, .... I am game for anything that annoys the neighbors, and this sounds like a winner!

Never use charcoal:poke:
here are a few peruvian species and hybrids growing in limestone gravel and a little sand. it is one year since I received them now.:poke: Should be 3 years out of flask then....
Yesterday

Sorry to divert this thread a bit, but do I or do I not use the zeolite? I gather that charcoal is a good thing, but what of the zeolite?:confused:

what kind of charcoal is good?
all kind or someone specific ?
Have we need some attention when we use It or not?wash or process it with chemicals ?
Thanks in advance,Anna

what kind of charcoal is good?
all kind or someone specific ?
Have we need some attention when we use It or not?wash or process it with chemicals ?
Thanks in advance,Anna

No Anna, no chemicals, apparently you just have to drive over it a few times to irritate the neighbors!( especially those who are downwind of your makeshift crushing setup)

Zeolites are very good soil amendments but I don't know how well ephyphytic orchid roots would benefit from the cec properties.
A very good point, Lance.

Orchids have evolved in an environment of very little cation exchange opportunity. When it rains, the ions are up for grabs for a very short time as they flow by, and then they're not. I was reading (more Benzing) about the "unique" ability of orchid-root velamen to instantly capture ionic species, unlike any other root structure. Makes sense to me.

Ray Barkalow
Sent using Tapatalk

In case, the article on Biochar of the Wiki is full of references. I've flown other the french version, it's very documented and the english version is not far behind.

Complex stuff not completely explained yet. But to sum up: it's GOOD.

Latest posts

Back