Cattleya trianae alba ‘Aranka Germanske’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If it is indeed a trianae alba then it’s one of the finest around. This is a division from Max Strauss that I’ve had for several years growing slowly, but it’s not taken off until we had the new grown room. It arrived in there just over a year ago and I was afraid that with the new lead having lost its growth buds due to an attack of scale, it would gradually die. Luckily after a few months one of the older leads sprouted a shoot so now we have a late growth and bloom. Anyway I am very pleased with it.
Dr Leslie tells us that they can get to be big plants up to eighteen inches high. This one is just about ten inches high so it’s some way to go, but the flower quality is already great.
There is some controversy about this plant. Steve Christofferson says it is jungle collected but I’ve seen other comments suggesting that it is a hybrid. It’s a very reluctant breeder so may be polyploid.
IMG_1582.jpegIMG_1581.jpeg
David

If it is indeed a trianae alba then it’s one of the finest around. This is a division from Max Strauss that I’ve had for several years growing slowly, but it’s not taken off until we had the new grown room. It arrived in there just over a year ago and I was afraid that with the new lead having lost its growth buds due to an attack of scale, it would gradually die. Luckily after a few months one of the older leads sprouted a shoot so now we have a late growth and bloom. Anyway I am very pleased with it.
Dr Leslie tells us that they can get to be big plants up to eighteen inches high. This one is just about ten inches high so it’s some way to go, but the flower quality is already great.
There is some controversy about this plant. Steve Christofferson says it is jungle collected but I’ve seen other comments suggesting that it is a hybrid. It’s a very reluctant breeder so may be polyploid.
View attachment 46906View attachment 46907
David
Absolutely stunning. I have a small back-bulb of this plant, but it’s going to be a few years before I see blooms. Just a note, the correct spelling is ‘Germaske’ with no “n”. It was award a 91 point FCC from the AOS in 1956, so it’s an heirloom plant. If it’s a hybrid, only Bow Bells or Bob Betts could really rival it for quality at the time. Does the growth/sheath/bloom cycle behave like a trianae?

In the past, it has grown like a trianae, during the summer. As this plant never flowered, I’m not sure about that side.
I do have another plant, from Asendorfer which may or may not be a mericlone. That did flower once in the winter. That too is now growing better in the new grow room. It should flower next winter.

Latest posts

Back