Cattleya labiata rubra ‘schuller’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another labiata that has decided to flower super early, as soon as the new bulb was mature. I am pleased as this blooming is way better than the last one, the flowers are much bigger. Hopefully this is due to the new grow room. It may also be down to the new pot, a mesh one used for water plants. Plenty of air for the roots.
IMG_1371.jpegIMG_1372.jpegIMG_1373.jpeg
David

David, are you thinking this is a division from a line from the original? I don't know the derivation of 'Schuller'. I don't see it AOS awarded so maybe European and RHS awarded? I once had a selfing of this cultivar but it didn't make it long term. It is definitely dark rubra and the shape is really nice.

Terry, I bought this from Strauss orchids in Germany as an original division. I’ve no idea if it was ever awarded but it seems to have been one of the first super dark labiatas.

Instead of having a rest after an August blooming, this clone, along with all my other labiatas, threw up a new growth. It’s now in bloom. The flowers are a good size at just over 17cm across, maybe slightly larger than the previous ones.
They must enjoy their new home under the LED lights.
They always rested after flowering until spring when they grew on a windowsill.
IMG_1520.jpegIMG_1517.jpeg
The only difference with this growth is that there was no flower sheath.

I think your Cattleya experiment is giving minimum winter rests to plants and we will now get to see what they do. The windowsill gave them a natural winter rest with reduced day length, reduced light intensity because of the sun angle, cooler temperatures, and probably you reduced watering and feeding. I think most of these changes are now pretty mild in your new growing area?

Terry, things have been taken down over winter. Temperatures are down a bit, 18c at night and about 23c during the day. The lights are on 12 hours, not 16 and I’ve reduced their intensity from 100% to 75%.
I did this well after the plants had started to grow new leads, probably in early December.

Again lovely flowers ... maybe the colour is slighty lighter.
Terry, things have been taken down over winter. Temperatures are down a bit, 18c at night and about 23c during the day. The lights are on 12 hours, not 16 and I’ve reduced their intensity from 100% to 75%.
I did this well after the plants had started to grow new leads, probably in early December.
David, but obviously compared with your windowsill cultur there is still more intensity in everything. When I think of all the dull and cloudy winter days here in Gemany with no sun ray over many days ... I think it isn't much different in UK .... the light intensity of 75% and the other parameter are a notch above.

Last edited:
Congrats on another great blooming, and glad to hear things are growing well in the new space!

Latest posts

Back