Cattleya gaskelliana alba 'Charlie'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Young

Reaction score
Blooming out of season!

104dd5617b173280f7b6943cf2b9d0f4.jpg

It would have had 7 flowers in the early summer, but an exhaust fan failure toasted all the buds just days from opening. So it shot out 5 new grows over the past few months and this one made a bud. Two others have sheaths but no sign of buds there.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

That's super! :clap: Seems that you're growing it very well (too bad about the malfunctioning fan). 7 buds followed by 5 new growths as a knee-jerk reaction to losing those buds shows that it's a strong and determined plant. 'Can't wait until next year to see what it will do for you in it's normal summer blooming season. Should be quite a show. :drool:

That's super! :clap: Seems that you're growing it very well (too bad about the malfunctioning fan). 7 buds followed by 5 new growths as a knee-jerk reaction to losing those buds shows that it's a strong and determined plant. 'Can't wait until next year to see what it will do for you in it's normal summer blooming season. Should be quite a show. :drool:
Yes, my feed seems to really punch the plants into overdrive as well. The new growths are more than double the height of the original back growths.

I noticed something strange, the first year growths with the new feed made unifoliar Catts give bifoliate growth with large leaves, next season back to normal unifoliate, but very large growths also.

I've got several plants that put out massive amounts of new leads.

Rhyncholaelia digbyana, put out 7 new leads on a 8 growth plant,
Laelia purpurata 5 new leads on a 7 growth plant. They are all into the 2nd year of feeding and greenhouse conditions.

I really only changed 1 thing, the addition of humid acid (granular) top dress the pots, to my regular foliar fertilizer spray.

And things went berzerk with growth.

Yes, my feed seems to really punch the plants into overdrive as well. The new growths are more than double the height of the original back growths.

I noticed something strange, the first year growths with the new feed made unifoliar Catts give bifoliate growth with large leaves, next season back to normal unifoliate, but very large growths also.

I've got several plants that put out massive amounts of new leads.

Rhyncholaelia digbyana, put out 7 new leads on a 8 growth plant,
Laelia purpurata 5 new leads on a 7 growth plant. They are all into the 2nd year of feeding and greenhouse conditions.

I really only changed 1 thing, the addition of humid acid (granular) top dress the pots, to my regular foliar fertilizer spray.

And things went berzerk with growth.

Wow, that sounds incredible. Thanks Ryan. Can you tell us more about the granular humic acid (I presume your spelling of "humid" is a typo)? Where do you get the granules and how much do you use...how often? What is your regular foliar spray and how often to you do that and at what concentration?

Thanks very much!

Wow, that sounds incredible. Thanks Ryan. Can you tell us more about the granular humic acid (I presume your spelling of "humid" is a typo)? Where do you get the granules and how much do you use...how often? What is your regular foliar spray and how often to you do that and at what concentration?

Thanks very much!
Nope it is Humic acid https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humic_acid

I buy it as a granulated mix branded as "Humik", derived from Leonardite.
It is very affordable for the amount needed is only a pinch a to a pot every other week or sometimes longer.
I think it is around $20 for 750g. larger containers get cheaper.

I'm down to 1/3 of that container, I've been using it on around 120 orchids for 2 years now.

It assists in the uptake of nutrients or fertilizers, with cation exchange.

As you can see the older growth is dwarfed in comparison
58d2bc84444d84e3a81fd2f153ec0512.jpg

The largest growth when I received it was 29cm from rhizome base to leaf tip, the largest measured from this growth period is 44cm it may extend a tiny bit more in little while.

I buy it as a granulated mix branded as "Humik", derived from Leonardite.
It is very affordable for the amount needed is only a pinch a to a pot every other week or sometimes longer.
I think it is around $20 for 750g. larger containers get cheaper.

I'm down to 1/3 of that container, I've been using it on around 120 orchids for 2 years now.
It assists in the uptake of nutrients or fertilizers, with cation exchange.
That sounds worth a try! Where do you buy it?

As you can see the older growth is dwarfed in comparison
The largest growth when I received it was 29cm from rhizome base to leaf tip, the largest measured from this growth period is 44cm it may extend a tiny bit more in little while. Very impressive. Good job! Thanks for the info.

Waouh! Very Nice. Mine has never flowered while I have no problem with other Catts. What is the usual season for this species? Is its spathe growing during the grow of the pseudo-bulb ?

Waouh! Very Nice. Mine has never flowered while I have no problem with other Catts. What is the usual season for this species? Is its spathe growing during the grow of the pseudo-bulb ?
June /summer is the usual bloom period. The sheath emerges towards the maturing of the growth so as the leaf grows out past the bulb covering in inch or two there should be a tiny sheath starting.

Ryan forget my last message. You have already responsed. Many thanks for the infos.

Back