Cattleya eldorado (syn: wallisii) pentaflamea ‘Kastaliya’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it was the judging team’s first ever look at this color variant and had no experience with much eldorados. Most on the team have probably seen one or two in their lifetime (the ones I brought).

The most senior judge there may have seen more (around ten or more).

So this affair can be chalk up to inexperience on this species.
You have a good attitude about their inexperience. Hopefully, and what would impress me is they do their homework to learn what they do not know so when presented again it gets the attention it should.
Having said that, I realize (but only in part) how very much knowledge it takes to be a judge. Knowledge on all species etc. so grace must be allowed but hopefully next time it will go better. It would have been nice if they would have acknowledged it’s rarity with some type of award.

You have a good attitude about their inexperience. Hopefully, and what would impress me is they do their homework to learn what they do not know so when presented again it gets the attention it should.
Having said that, I realize (but only in part) how very much knowledge it takes to be a judge. Knowledge on all species etc. so grace must be allowed but hopefully next time it will go better. It would have been nice if they would have acknowledged its rarity with some type of award.
One has to see how the process was done and discussed. I asked a judge and a student to explain to me in detail afterwards and I could see how they came up with the conclusion. I could see from their explanation how this plant was passed.

I am sure this will be a valuable part of the learning process because when it comes with two spikes of 2-3 flowers, they will do a much better assessment of it.

Hehe yes Deb, the training and knowledge needs a lot of study and judging experiences, plus travelling, to form a good judge. But it’s a fun process!

No one knows everything. That’s why a balanced team is integral to the process.

Last edited:
I think it was the judging team’s first ever look at this color variant and had no experience with much eldorados. Most on the team have probably seen one or two in their lifetime (the ones I brought).

The most senior judge there may have seen more (around ten or more).

So this affair can be chalk up to inexperience on this species.

It’s ok with me. I understand their logical discussion and how it led to this. All part of the collective learning process.
As I read this I realize I don’t even know if different Cattleya species have different judging standards! It seems like they should have. In order to judge a species plant can’t you only be considering the best that have been seen before? That is where the data of previous awards would matter, along with photos. Experience of the judge with the species would help, but if you had previous award photos and data, would it work? I wouldn’t think you could be judging eldorado/wallissii on an arbitrary point score for size, configuration, substance, floriferousness, etc along with all other Cattleya species.

As I read this I realize I don’t even know if different Cattleya species have different judging standards! It seems like they should have. In order to judge a species plant can’t you only be considering the best that have been seen before? That is where the data of previous awards would matter, along with photos. Experience of the judge with the species would help, but if you had previous award photos and data, would it work? I wouldn’t think you could be judging eldorado/wallissii on an arbitrary point score for size, configuration, substance, floriferousness, etc along with all other Cattleya species.
You’re right.

Each species has their own standards. The more exposure you have to the variations of each species, the better. Even different color variants of each species has a slightly different standard!

I just did a training talk on it, soon to be released on the AOS training section.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back