Catasetum pileatum 'Oro Verde'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've grown this plant for many years now and she is a reliable annual bloomer. She's always the last one of my three Catasetums/Clowesia which is flowering.

10323_23.11.01_catasetum_pileatum_Oro_Verde.jpg

Lovely!! I thought this species is a summer bloomer.
By the way, how common/easy is it to find Catasetums and Cycnoches in Germany?

Lovely!! I thought this species is a summer bloomer.
By the way, how common/easy is it to find Catasetums and Cycnoches in Germany?
Sorry for the delay...but I was almos4 4 weeks away enjoying the warmth and the sun of a more southern hemisphere. In the end it lasted two more day as planned due to delays of mi flight back home.
As to your questions.
This plant flowered under my condition always in late summer early fall ... may be this year slightly later then usual.
I grow only 3 Catasetums and one of them was a present amost 40 years ago .... but I think they should be available in Germany without problems as long as you don't search a very special and rare one.

Sorry for the delay...but I was almos4 4 weeks away enjoying the warmth and the sun of a more southern hemisphere. In the end it lasted two more day as planned due to delays of mi flight back home.
As to your questions.
This plant flowered under my condition always in late summer early fall ... may be this year slightly later then usual.
I grow only 3 Catasetums and one of them was a present amost 40 years ago .... but I think they should be available in Germany without problems as long as you don't search a very special and rare one.
Thank you!
I bought Mormodes rolfeana (yellow flower form) from a Peruflora at Dresden Show last month. Bare root leafless plant but looks like it is starting a spike.
Has your Catasetum pileatum ever made female flowers for you? Do you have it under artificial light?

Thank you!
I bought Mormodes rolfeana (yellow flower form) from a Peruflora at Dresden Show last month. Bare root leafless plant but looks like it is starting a spike.
Has your Catasetum pileatum ever made female flowers for you? Do you have it under artificial light?
When I read in another thread what you bought in Dresden I was wondering how you will bring these plants back to the states ? On the other hand I was wondering during your absence of almost 3 months in last winter if you had moved to Europe as you announced one day. Meanwhile I heard from Tony in another thread that you moved to Europe but not to Norway, as you mentioned one day, but to Germany.
So, welcome to Germany HP7!
As to your question.
I grow all my orchids only by natural light, no artificial lighting set. So far Catasetum pileatum hasn't produced female flowers but Catasetum fimbriatum did ... but only once during almost 40 years of care.

I do really like these. You still need a hot house even here in South Australia for these, as it’s still not consistently warm enough for them.

Latest posts

Back