Calanthe kawakamiense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Always the first Calanthe to flower due to its subtropical affinities, C. kawakamiense is basically a large form of C. sieboldii, a native of southern Japan. It is found only in Taiwan's warm forests, places that rarely see temperatures below 50 degrees. It manages to survive the winter here without much problem, but I've noticed that the flowers are now similar in size to its northern relative. I suppose if I grew it inside a greenhouse it would increase in size again.

CalantheKawakamienseFLS.jpg

That's beautiful Tom.

Besides being yellow, the flower structure is quite different from other Calanthes. Is there a nectary on those flowers?

Besides being yellow, the flower structure is quite different from other Calanthes. Is there a nectary on those flowers?

Rick, there is a short nectary on these. The flower structure is very different from the deciduous tropical species, but very similar to the evergreen ones such as discolor, masuca, and so on. I strongly believe that more than one genus is represented at present and the genus needs to be reconsidered. What else is new?

C. sieboldii is one of the main starting plants for hybrids, especially the so called Takane line (the basic primary being between C. sieboldii and C. discolor). Lovely odor on these as well, to my nose smelling just like that ribbon candy sold at Easter in the US. How appropriate is that!

Damn, another plant I need to have. I like to think of myself as a Phrag and Paph collector in that order. Unfortunately, I am more of a little bit of everything grower, with a lot of Paphs and Phrags too. I just can't focus on one type of orchid. This has it all, color, fragrance, many showy flowers on a medium size plant. And from what you say it should be easy to grow.

Damn, another plant I need to have. I like to think of myself as a Phrag and Paph collector in that order. Unfortunately, I am more of a little bit of everything grower, with a lot of Paphs and Phrags too. I just can't focus on one type of orchid.
Wow, Leo... Did I just write that???

Wow, Leo... Did I just write that???
Oh well, just how familiar is that? :)

Very nice, Tom! Mine is growing nicely (summer outside, winter in GH) and currently makes HUGE leaves but I'm missing the essential thing sprouting from the middle (again). I love these things, but they tend to frustrate me occasionally.

Back