Potting method for Cypripediums in a hot climate

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,
your system looks to be working great at the moment but must be 'high risk'.
What is the temperature in the greenhouse?
I'd be inclined to put the pot on the floor in the coolest part of the house.
I find that the easiest way to kill a cyp is to heat stress it so I do hope that the water reservoir does not run out!
If it does, the plant will turn to a crisp in about a hour.
Good luck!
David

The temps lately go from 15C to 35C. Its the coolest spot I can find without keeping it in darkness. The water reservoir has dried up for hours but like I said It didn't make much difference. The moss holds about 1/2 a litre of water by itself and this seems to slowly seep into the inner pot as well as to the outside wall.

Mike, I've used a similar set up growing seedling Cyps with mixed results since seedlings can't take too much abuse! Do you use any wicking tape, or just top water the pot?
Tom, No wicking tape. I've just been removing the inner pot and watering that before replacing it in the moss but not because it really needs watering, just because I feel I need to :confused: How much water do they need? They don't really seem to dry out at the moment. ( or very slowly anyway ) A lot of the dish water ends up in the plant pot. Do they like a good flushing with water from above or do they prefer bottom watering. Also, when do roots emerge from the new growths?
Does your method keep the outer pot damp/wet?

Tom, No wicking tape. I've just been removing the inner pot and watering that before replacing it in the moss but not because it really needs watering, just because I feel I need to :confused: How much water do they need?

Cyps need continuously moist conditions year round. True drying at any time is dangerous, hence David's comments. Most are associated with forest cover of some type so humidities are usually high while in growth.

They don't really seem to dry out at the moment. ( or very slowly anyway ) A lot of the dish water ends up in the plant pot. Do they like a good flushing with water from above or do they prefer bottom watering. Does your method keep the outer pot damp/wet?

As long as the water in the bottom reservoir is clean, that should be OK. Cyps in general hate wet/soggy conditions despite some being found in wet environments (which doesn't need to be replicated in cultivation). With Cyps it is best to make sure the medium remains clean and well aerated, as with any slipper orchid. Using my method the outer pot never is damp. My plants spend their summers under shrubs where they get frequent rain, and so the pots get flushed often.

On hot, dry days the wicking tape does the job of keeping the medium moist, and hopefully cooler - assuming I don't forget to keep the reservoir full! The growing medium I use is designed to wick water as well which increases evaporation. I think this is key in making this particular system to work efficiently. I don't know how or if it would work with other substrates.

Also, when do roots emerge from the new growths?

Once the new growth bud is forming and enlarging (around mid summer) they should be growing new roots. Those can continue to grow on into the fall. A new growth bud that has no new roots, or highly shortened ones, indicates a stressed plant.

Latest posts

Back