C. montanum, growing wild

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grady

Reaction score
These are pictures of montanum growing wild on our property. They have been here at least since 1999 when my wife first noticed them (I have lived on these 20 acres since 1988).

MountainLadysSlippersMay172012a_zps725cdafa.jpg

A photo of the main "patch" (there are 13 of them). Each red flag is a clump of plants:
MountainLadysSlipperslongview_zps8bc2367e.jpg

MountainLadysSlippersalmostinbloomMay142012_zpse14f0edc.jpg

MountainLadysSlippersalmostinbloomcMay142012_zps372890f9.jpg

MountainLadysSlippersalmostinbloombMay142012_zpsa7dda054.jpg

New shoots this spring:
MountainLadysSlippersshootsApril72013m_zpsd2a902f8.jpg

MountainLadysSlippersshootsApril72013g_zps021a5e00.jpg

MountainLadysSlippersshootsApril72013a_zpse4bf4a6e.jpg

In all their glory:
MountainLadysSlippersMay172012i_zpsb82c31e2.jpg

MountainLadysSlippersMay172012e_zpsa08432d8.jpg

MountainLadysSlippersMay172012d_zpsf4efa68d.jpg

MountainLadysSlippersMay172012c_zps41a22794.jpg

You can see from the photos that dappled sunlight is the rule here; canopy closure is 50%-60%, with mature Douglas fir and Ponderosa pine. The plants are all volunteers and their origin is unknown. There are 13 clumps of plants , consisting of just over 100 individual plants, separated by up to 500 feet. Winters can be quite cold, zero Fahrenheit and below. Spring and summer are usually dry; our region gets about 16 inches of rain a year. Summer temps top at in the mid 90's in August. All the plants are growing in the forest duff. All of them flower and produce seed pods each year. I transplanted one of the plants to a garden area last summer, where it gets a lot more water; so far this spring, it has shoots coming up.

Really cool. Thank you for the photos.

If I can find time this weekend, I'm going to head over to the spot where I found hundreds or even thousands of cyp. acuale and try to photograph them now that I have a better camera. You've inspired me.

You are so, so lucky. I contacted Jim (he's on the forum, he commented on the show pictures) and he has a few locations he's going to find native orchids, like Cyp. candidum. I may finally get to see orchids in the wild!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Lucky you!
Hmm- you may good habitat conditions for Cyp. acule also (acidic pine soil). Was there ever a low intensity fast fire in the underbrush? "Low-K" fertilizers seem all the rage; I wonder if some cyps benefit from extra-potassium when potash is created from fire.

WOW!! It is wonderful to have such beauties growing naturaly in your property..! :clap:

Fires in the past

>>Was there ever a low intensity fast fire in the underbrush? "Low-K" fertilizers seem all the rage; I wonder if some cyps benefit from extra-potassium when potash is created from fire.<<

Linus, there is evidence of fire in the past. Nearly all the old stumps (some 40" across) and snags exhibit evidence of fire. Not just on my property, but on neighboring properties as well. Some trees survived this fire, some did not. Looking at the bark evidence, the fire was over 70 years ago.

I've been thinning the forest for a very long time, keeping in mind the recommendations of a state forester about 25 years ago: 16 feet between trees, and thin in favor of pine, which is more suitable for our low rainfall. About seven years ago I thinned in the area of the major "patch" of cyps (the long-view shot in the photos, and this was before I gave them any thought), disrupting the duff and partially opening the canopy. All the slash from the thinning was burned where it was thinned, with the ash being spread around after the fire. I've done this countless times over the years, leaving a park-like environment and a dose of ash nearly everywhere. It's a surprise that my thoughtlessness in regards to the cyps didn't seem to affect them, for this patch is still vigorous. Now, of course, I'm highly mindful of where they are; each clump has a red flag to denote its location. The flag has the year of observation and how many plants were observed, how many flowers and time of flowering, how many seed pods. I'm getting to the record-keeping very late, but it will be useful to see if the number of plants increase or decrease. What is most interesting are the outliers; other patches are over 500 feet away, one of them just a small clump with 19 plants in it. The cyps have become like the morel mushrooms here: a delight just to find them, a continuing delight to just enjoy them.

In this photo of our front yard, the main cyp patch is straight ahead and to the right of the rock pile that's visible in the distance:
LookingwestfromdeckJune2011600x450_zps95c32dc4.jpg

>>Was there ever a low intensity fast fire in the underbrush? "Low-K" fertilizers seem all the rage; I wonder if some cyps benefit from extra-potassium when potash is created from fire.<<

Linus, there is evidence of fire in the past. Nearly all the old stumps (some 40" across) and snags exhibit evidence of fire. Not just on my property, but on neighboring properties as well. Some trees survived this fire, some did not. Looking at the bark evidence, the fire was over 70 years ago.

I think an intense fire 70+ years ago would suggest "disturbance" (and sunlight) was a greater factor for cyps occurring then a flush of potash/potassium in to the habitat.

Climate zone

Hi Orchid Boy,

I'm not sure what zone we're in because of the lack of standardization of zones. My wife says 5. For December, our coldest month, average low is 24, average high is 38. July & August are tied for the same average high: 83, while the average low is 54 and 53, respectively. Average rainfall is 11.42 inches. Record low is -16, record high is 106.

I hope this is helpful.

Latest posts

Back