Bulbophyllum umbellatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
I got this from Troy Meyers as a seedling about 5 years ago (Dale Borders' cross). I think this is the second blooming. It is a fairly slow grower for me, and it doesn't retain leaves well. I'm growing it at a cold-end of intermediate, and I wonder if it needs more warmth.

I saw a table comparing this species with other related species:

Ya, J. D., Guo, Y. J., Liu, C., Cai, J., Dong, G. J., Jiang, H., & Li, D. Z. (2019). Bulbophyllum reflexipetalum (Orchidaceae, Epidendroideae, Malaxideae), a new species from Xizang, China. PhytoKeys, 130, 33. (link to full text)

B. umbellatum is supposed to have emarginate leaf apex (split) and B. guttulatum has round leaf apex. This plant has round leaf apex. The color of flowers seem to match with B. umbellatum (unless this is an extremely pale form of B. guttulatum). Keys in Flora of China (link) uses the shape of wings under the column: acute (pointy) for B. guttulatum vs round wings for B. umbellatum. My plant has the round wings. So I think the ID is correct, but I appreciate your opinion.

P5040035.jpgP5040044.jpgP5040073.jpgP5040026.jpg

Last edited:
I did a bit more research and after looking at illustrations at Swiss Orchid Foudation, this is likely to be correct B. umbellatum. Their illustration doesn't seem to show pronounced split leaf tips for B. umbellatum. Also, B. guttulatum has a long, thread-like, pointy part at the tip of the column (just below anther cap), which my plant doesn't have.

B. guttulatum with the pointy column tip.

[IMG]

© G. Seidenfaden. 1992. Bulbophyllum guttulatum (Hook.f.) N.P.Balakr.. Swiss Orchid Foundation at the Herbarium Jany Renz. Botanical Institute, University of Basel, Switzerland.

B. umbellatum (type)
[IMG]

© G. Seidenfaden. 1973. Bulbophyllum umbellatum Lindl.. Swiss Orchid Foundation at the Herbarium Jany Renz. Botanical Institute, University of Basel, Switzerland.

B. umbellatum (several forms)
[IMG]

© G. Seidenfaden. 1973. Bulbophyllum umbellatum Lindl.. Swiss Orchid Foundation at the Herbarium Jany Renz. Botanical Institute, University of Basel, Switzerland.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a .... duck .... lol.

Just scanning OrchidWiz program, guttulatum has a reddish purple 'tongue'. This flower has the yellow 'tongue' of the umbellatum. Just observing...

Nicely grown, Guidal! After looking at the illustrations, the column shape is the sure way to distinguish. The color could be easier, but there is a small chance that pale color may be caused by a mutation (like albino).

Thank you, Naoki!

I think most of the floral features of your plant point in the direction of umbellatum. And, by the way, if the original label is correct, it probably has to be grown under hot to warm conditions and with not too strong light.

Kind regards, Jens

Thanks, I'll move one of the two pots to a warmer grow tent. In Troy Meyers' site, Dale noted that he grows the parent at cool-intermediate condition. But it isn't doing too good for me.

Back