Bulbophyllum tripudians

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
This is from Tropical Exotique. I have to do a bit more reading, but I think it is correctly ID'd. But let me know if it is not. Below, I added a couple of my observations from comparison to the illustrations of related species in Swiss Orchid Foundation. What I mentioned below may not be useful to the identification, and the difference I see may be just specific to these individuals.
P3302934.jpg
P3302933.jpg
P3302970.jpg

Lateral sepals and the flower bract were removed. The hairs on the dorsal sepal and petals are more concentrated on the tip half, and there are more on the adaxial surface.
P3303015.jpg

In the following dissected photos, the grid in the background is metric (1mm).

Right side: lateral sepals. Left: adaxial surface (i.e. facing the column, front side), right: abaxial surface (facing ovary, back side).
Left side (from top to bottom): flower bracts, dorsal sepals, petals, column and lip.
For the bracts, dorasl sepals and petals, left side is the abaxial surface, right side is the adaxial surface.
For the column+ lip, the bottom one has the petals.

Note the fairly fat and big flower bracts. The bracts of B. refractum and B. wallichii seems to be smaller. Also the dorsal sepals are pretty fat, unlike the slim/narrow dorsal sepals of B. wallichii
P3303062.jpg

Lip from above
P3303105.jpg

Lip from the side. Some illustrations show that the profile of the lip is quite different from B. wallichii, which seems to have elevated side-lobe like structure (so it looks taller closer to the hinge). Also the tip of the lip seems to be fatter with B. wallichii.
P3303110.jpg

Lip from below
P3303111.jpg

Column from the above. I think the yellowish and purplish part is a part of anther cap, which looks pretty cool.
72034_66ffe8b3971dfd04f0f2bbeaddecf2ea.jpg

Column profile view. The lip is removed.
P3303109.jpg

Column from below. The green thing looks pretty cool. I'm not sure what it it.
P3303087.jpg

Comparison against B. cf refractum (left), which I posted in this thread. Also note that the stem part of the inflorescence is straight in the B. tripudians, but it goes zig-zag with the right plant, and the flowers hang down instead of sticking out side way.
72035_cc4b95e416807ef4478c7871aedfdf1e.jpg

Note the difference in the bract sizes. Also, you can see the difference in the shape of dorsal sepal. B. tripudians has much fatter dorsal sepals, but the dorsal sepals of the right plant are longer (relative to the column or lip).
72036_b2e8dd493f8e135503683c8456bb9799.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, all. In the photo comparing two species, I'm still working on the id of the left plant. I can be certain it is not B. refractum. It is either B. wallichii or B. kanburiense. But I think it is more closer to B. wallichii. Also I forgot to mention that B. tripudians has the fragrans of cinamon, but the other one does not.

I finally got around finishing the blog post about this and related species (link). It's not well edited yet, but I got tired of working on it. It also includes what I tentatively decided to be B. wallichii. It includes lots of links which might (or might not) help others to study this wonderful, but confusing group.

Finally, here is a side-by-side photos of B. wallichii (left) and B. tripudians (right).
P3303140.jpg

Latest posts

Back