bulbophyllum ambrosia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this species in unique in that it's a bulbophyllum that smells nice, it is alive, and in that it has flowered for me! :) usually bulbos smell like rotting things or worse, and the larger bulbophyllums that I use to have wouldn't flower. the first bud opened today (was surprised to see the open flower this afternoon). in the buds post I mentioned about how I had originally purchased this plant from george norris down in texas, and that the other half of the plant had been traded to a fellow orchid grower who grew it to large size and then it burst into flower. many pieces have been put on the auction table, and I actually got a piece of my friend's plant which is the one flowering here. I couldn't smell it tonight but I'll check to see if I can smell it in the morning. It's called 'ambrosia' because it's supposed to smell fairly nice

bulbambrosia1210a.JPG

flower

bulbambrosia1210b.JPG

side

bulbambrosia1210c.JPG

mostly whole plant view showing reversed-astroturf mount (would probably
work better if I had higher humidity)

I did notice a new flower spike coming up from the base of another pseudobulb so there'll be three flowers

It's a sweet fragrance, but not overly so. Very pleasant -- very surprising for a Bulbo. There's at least one more Bulbo with a good fragrance: cocoinum. Smells a bit like coconut.

Nice flower! I heard that this one had a fragrance that reminded of almonds. Bulbos actually have a bit of undeserved reputation for being foul smelling. Only a handful in this HUGE genus is stinkers. But of course, those that do stink can be real "plant skunks"...

Another nice smelling Bulbo is Bulbophyllum lasiochilum that can have a faint strawberry fragrance.

This is a sweet looking species... however, for me it happens to be a reluctant bloomer... I have tried high and low humiditiy and light, and I only get it growing...

This one is neat.

Bill Thoms brought a couple Bulbos in for judging last weekend. One was a primary between agastor and echinolabium to be registered as Bulbo More than Agast. It had the usual nasty bulbo smell, but with a familiar smell of stale beer. It got a low AM. Agastor has really bad form- the sepals fold upward almost reminiscent of frostii. But this trait breeds out nicely.

Latest posts

Back