bulbo suggestions?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoserenus

the beauty of nature
Reaction score
hey guys,

i posted this also in another orchid forum, but i thought that i'd also post it here. i'm looking into bulbos.

what are some bulbophyllum species/hybrids that:
(1) appear not to have any rhizome; not leggy--the kind the pseudobulbs tend to all clump (eg. bulbo. echiolabium)
(2) windowsill growing possible, i do currently grow under lights.
(3) the lack of an extreme scent--can't really have something stink up my bedside garden
(4) doesn't grow huge--per pseudobulb basis.

i really like ones that are star shaped--like lobbii, dearei, sulawesii, and sumatranum. but i am not sure if these could be brought into bloom... or even if they could survive the windowsill... any bulbophyllum lovers care to chip in your $0.02? thanks

i currently have 1 cirrhopetalum lepidum and is growing 2 new leads--the one lead last year didn't make it for some reason... just turned black and died =( is that a rot issue or a lack of humidity issue?

this is it from last year, can't take credit for spiking it --at least i don't think so... i bought in bloom, but this second flowering came about a month after the original bloom faded...
cirrhopetallummakoyanum12.jpg

Nick...Bulbos are difficult to grow without decent humidity. There are many that clump, are not overly big and don't have too strong of a fragrance if any.
That said ones that clump and are easy to locate are lobbii but it climbs, mandibulare, josephii, dennisii, grandiflorum, micholitzii, antenniferum, wendlandianim to name just a few

thatz for the replies you two. ya i know bulbos can get difficult... sighs, they are such a delicate genus to grow, especially if we dun have a terrarium or a greenhouse. i'll definitely keep my ears open and see how things turn out, and also keeping my fingers crossed for my lepidum

Nick...Bulbos are difficult to grow without decent humidity. There are many that clump, are not overly big and don't have too strong of a fragrance if any.
That said ones that clump and are easy to locate are lobbii but it climbs, mandibulare, josephii, dennisii, grandiflorum, micholitzii, antenniferum, wendlandianim to name just a few

So should I be able to do ok with these in my light stand? I maintain a 65+ humidity in the light stand.

Latest posts

Back