Bulbo. longissima

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chuck

This is a division of a plant that Kyle owns.
IMG_7721.jpg

IMG_7732.jpg

IMG_7734.jpg

IMG_7748.jpg

Very cool!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I can't bloom mine... :( How much light do you give it..?

This plant hangs up in the top of my intermediate greenhouse that has a southern exposure. 30% shade in summer and full sun starting in a week or so.

Wow, not anymore I guess! :poke:

I still have my piece... But chuck, sheat are you feeding that thing! Its being grown much better then I've ever grown it! Please share your secrets, what is it potted in? (mine is in moss) How much light (mines with my masd) What temps (mine is grown cool).

I'm very impressed.

Kyle

I still have my piece... But chuck, what are you feeding that thing! Its being grown much better then I've ever grown it! Please share your secrets, what is it potted in? (mine is in moss) How much light (mines with my masd) What temps (mine is grown cool).

Kyle

Hello Kyle. Will you be at the Fraser Valley Show this coming weekend?

I sure like this plant as well as all the others I have received from you over the last few years. The plant is grown in a fine bark mix (50% inorganic stuff like sponge rock, lava rock etc.). The pot is fairly shallow. The bottom half is styrofoam packing peanuts so the mix is very shallow .. 2 inches or so. It hangs in the top of my intermediate greenhouse so the temps would be warm interemdiate. 30% shade in summer. Full sun in the winter. My catts and high light phrags get about the same. Balanced fertilizer like the phrags (about 200 ppm tds in winter 400 ppm in the spring) once a week. I give it an additional 1/2 teaspoon of slow release pellets March. Calcium nitrate or magnesium sulphate added to irrigation water (about 200 ppm) about six times a year each. Watered with rain water (RO when I run out of rain water) every two days. In other words, I grow it like a phrag with the addition of some slow release fertilizer added in the spring. It seems to like this. The leaves and pseudobulbs are getting larger each year. It has those two mature spikes and four more coming. I hope this helps.

I'll see you in Langley this weekend if you are there.

Chuck

I think light and temperature is the difference between our culture.

I won't be in Langley, I'm speaking to the society in Sadkatoon that weekend.

To bad, it would be nice to meet up again.

Kyle

Very cool!! And excellent photography. Mine is starting to bloom now too, with one of 4 spikes mostly open.

Where did your clone originally come from? I got mine from Hoosier, and sometimes the blooms get 10" (25 cm) long.

I grow mine in a basket of sphag. It's a very seasonal plant for me, doing nothing for more than 1/2 of the year, and then growing like gangbusters (and blooming) over just a few months. It's bloomed the last 3 years in a row. Fairly warm and bright. Lots of water and regular fertilizing.

Chuck got his plant from me, and I got it from a guy in southren Ontario. I wouldn't be surprised if it originally from Oak Hill, but I have no idea.

Where did yours come from, Rick?

Kyle

Very cool!! And excellent photography. Mine is starting to bloom now too, with one of 4 spikes mostly open.

Where did your clone originally come from? I got mine from Hoosier, and sometimes the blooms get 10" (25 cm) long.

I grow mine in a basket of sphag. It's a very seasonal plant for me, doing nothing for more than 1/2 of the year, and then growing like gangbusters (and blooming) over just a few months. It's bloomed the last 3 years in a row. Fairly warm and bright. Lots of water and regular fertilizing.

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I was in BC all weekend. I see kyle answered you question.

Wow that needs a lot of light, that is interesting.

What a stunning display, thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back