bulbo guttulatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
years ago I had a bulbophyllum guttulatum that I had bought at rice's orchids. it died, I got another, and eventually that one died. I found a plant at marlow orchids of guttulatum that they were kind enough to make a division of, and this is the first flowering. I think this is my first bulbo flower! any other plant I've had either never flowered or died beforehand :eek: . it's not a rice's guttulatum but I liked the flowers enough to try and grow another one. I've tried sniffing it, but can't detect a fragrance though maybe it needs more sunlight or something for that (whoever heard of a bulbo with no fragrance? (smile))

bguttulatum1009a.JPG

whole plant

bguttulatum1009b.JPG

umbel

bguttulatum1009c.JPG

sideview

bguttulatum1009d.JPG

closeup

WOW!!! Wondeful!!!:clap: I was always unlucky too with the bulbos I got so far! But now that I have the orchidarium I think things will go better! I am expecting for some to arrive! Could you share some cultural tips??? TY:)

WOW!!! Wondeful!!!:clap: I was always unlucky too with the bulbos I got so far! But now that I have the orchidarium I think things will go better! I am expecting for some to arrive! Could you share some cultural tips??? TY:)

thanks thanasis. :eek: i'm not sure that I'm the best for sharing bulbo culture as mine have either died or not flowered, but I've heard a consistent report that many of them like very solid watering, decent light and good air movement. since there are lots of bulbos that might work for some but not others. I think usually I don't have enough consistent moisture along with proper air for the media. some grown on windowsills or under lights i've seen grow well mounted on a chunk of treefern and sitting in water, with moss growing all over the chunk

Charles take care! This species is the one that started me on my long road to Bulbo insanity many years ago...lol. The majority of Bulbo species are non fragrant. There are even some that have sweet fruity fragrances. Bulbos get a bad fragrance rap based on a few not the majority. ENJOY!

That's a good looking flower Charles. Now to begin a serious Bulbo frenzy:evil:

The only Bulbos I lost were a couple that I got pre humidity control ( and a bunch of deflasked seedlings since). They just like humid (70% or greater) muggy conditions with good air movement. They do like lots of water, and most of mine are in baskets of moss, but some are mounted on branches. There are some high elevation species that like cooler-intermediate temps, but most prefer more to the warmer end.

For me they are like the Asian equivalent of pleurothalids, which also like humid and breezy, but cooler rather than warmer.

I really love Bulbos and the variation in them, I wish more people grew them here as I don't have the conditions. Thanks for sharing, lovely flowering.

The absolute key to growing the majority of all Bulbophyllum's is SPHAGNUM MOSS. i use the long grain new zealand brand. you will see much better results. i promise. remember though, you DONT want to water that moss as often as you would bark/coconut chunks..

Latest posts

Back