Bulbo frostii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
I love these little "Dutch Wooden shoes" with a bouncy tongue. It has a slight fragrance more like the salt air at the seashore. I wouldn't call it offensive.

P5160029.jpg

Nice one Ron. I only have had 3 on mine also. Dot's picture sure puts ours to shame. I'm thinking that Bill's plant must be older and larger.

One of mine is called 'Frostii VN' but when they bloom they look alike, and both only had three blooms. Mine are also more toward the orange color. I love the color of Bill's. Thanks Dot.

I love those little Dutch Wooden Shoes.

Marilyn

I don't think its just the lighting for the photos, but most of the frostii I've seen have that bluish/grayish tint like Bill Porters, rather than the redder color like Ron's

I can't remember where I saw it, but I think there may be some different populations that have different sizes and flower counts. Something about a release of Bulbos of Vietnamese origin???? Marylin, could frostii VN mean Vietnamese?

Anyway it seems like the bluer flower with the higher count is fairly typical of what I've seen at shows, and I think these had Malayan origins.

I don't think its just the lighting for the photos, but most of the frostii I've seen have that bluish/grayish tint like Bill Porters, rather than the redder color like Ron's

I can't remember where I saw it, but I think there may be some different populations that have different sizes and flower counts. Something about a release of Bulbos of Vietnamese origin???? Marylin, could frostii VN mean Vietnamese?

Anyway it seems like the bluer flower with the higher count is fairly typical of what I've seen at shows, and I think these had Malayan origins.

Bulbo frostii in the recent trade comes mostly from Kontum, Viet Nam. There are 2 important facts about frostii. First, there are clearly several species/subspecies, and second, in Viet Nam, frostii is mixed with lepidum. When collectors gather frostii, the plants are mixed with lepidum, meaning that the rhizomes are entangled together. I spotted quite a lot of plants that do not looks like "pure" species too. I have not seen those strange plants in bloom yet...

One funny thing, bulbo frostii/lepidum, and dendrobium suzukii in Viet Nam are exclusively living on very dead trees ( whose bark collapse in sawdust if you touch it a little bit strongly) covered with mosses. Most of the trees fall down after a while, leading to massive amounts of plants dying and dead.

Bulbo frostii in the recent trade comes mostly from Kontum, Viet Nam. There are 2 important facts about frostii. First, there are clearly several species/subspecies, and second, in Viet Nam, frostii is mixed with lepidum. When collectors gather frostii, the plants are mixed with lepidum, meaning that the rhizomes are entangled together. I spotted quite a lot of plants that do not looks like "pure" species too. I have not seen those strange plants in bloom yet...

One funny thing, bulbo frostii/lepidum, and dendrobium suzukii in Viet Nam are exclusively living on very dead trees ( whose bark collapse in sawdust if you touch it a little bit strongly) covered with mosses. Most of the trees fall down after a while, leading to massive amounts of plants dying and dead.
that is very interesting. If you do see those plants in bloom could you get a pic to share, please.

I was googling around and found a pic of a CCM award winner. 89 blooms and buds on 22 spikes (that averages out a little over 4 buds per spike). There wasn't a closeup to get a good idea what the color of the blooms were, but it was a very impressive plant.

Can you imagine!? :crazy: And if you pick them up and try to export/import them - Zip! straight to jail! :(

Not quite, those plants go through Taiwan, Thailand, and they are exported worldwide ( as artificially propagated, of course !). It is possible to have CITES export permits from Viet Nam, but the main fact is that there are a couple of huge customers in Da Lat that are in the business of exporting massive quantities, and all the quality stocks just collected are sold within hours. So there is no time for those people to grow the plants even a single month... There are no CITES export permits because the sellers have too many customers and backorders to care about another "business". There are foreign orders for 1000 dendrobium suzukii, some thousands phalaenopsis chibae... So the traders here focuse on getting them from the forest, they have not time to think about "CITES" or growing the plants to make propagation...

that is very interesting. If you do see those plants in bloom could you get a pic to share, please.

I have some here, I do not know when they are going to bloom, but I await their flowering anxiously. The shape of the leaves range from perfectly round ( frostii for sure) up to elongated ( like lepidum), with all ranges of leaf color and textures. For sure some will be natural hybrids..

.....Marylin, could frostii VN mean Vietnamese?

When I bought mine, that is what I was told. I have a VN and the regular form. They both bloom alike except I think the flowers on the VN were a bit larger.

Marilyn

Latest posts

Back