Brown Rot Death Count

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think lance actually goes to South America and brews it up himself, its definately got a fermented taste. Probably get you blitzed if consumed in volume! :rollhappy:

It depends what you call "brown rot death". There are several diseases classified by hobbyists and most professionnal as "bacterial" that are definitely not !

I will scan some reports from a PCR lab with pictures of the sicknesses, when I have time.

A soft watery area with brown rot, very fast, can be related to phytophthora, one strain or erwinia carotovora, one yeast, glomerella sudden attack, pseudomonas, and fusarium. They are totally unrelated, but the symptoms will look exactly the same.

The orange gooey roots of paphs can be due to erwinia, fusarium, phytophthora, bremia, and xanthomonas with secondary infection.

For the dry slow rot, it can be again phytophthora, different strain, or your choice of erwinia, xanthomonas, colletotrichum, pythium... and much more.

My experience is that some of those sicknesses are actually very slowly invading the plant, and suddently they will resume and attack.

As an example, most of the plants that have got erwinia never recover on the long term, after some months or years, the erwinia will restart, treated again, and restart some years later. Keep records, and you will find out that it's true, even if the plants looks beautiful for a while after the "cure"...

Plant diseases are not very well understood by many people, but people have to realize that many are systemic, and the "symptoms" are only a small part of the affected area. Second, if you keep the plants dry, the phytophthora, pseudomonas and fusarium on the leaves will make only a few pitting here and there, to resume massively when the weather is better for those sicknesses.

Many chemicals are bacteriostatic and fungistatic, not bactericides and fungicides as well, so it delays the death of the plant, but does not prevent it completely. Sometimes it can delay that death for many months or years A batch of paph gardineri in the Netherlands has systemic bacteria, kept under control with antibiotics, but when moved to others places, the plants die after a couple of months...

Same here Xavier
You've been babbling about your "scientific" results
for ages --

Any publications ?
Any publications which uses your work as a reference?
I don't even think that Joe knows who you are

>>classified by hobbyists...
Do you consider yourself as having more knowledge in the microbiological field than the "ordinary hobbyists"?-- any credentials perhaps?
In which lab did you do your studies -- did you apply any statistical models on your research results?

>My experience is that some of those sicknesses are actually >very slowly invading the plant, and suddently they will resume >and attack.

Do you believe in spontaneous generations as well?

>A batch of paph gardineri in the Netherlands has systemic >bacteria, kept under control with antibiotics, but when moved >to others places, the plants die after a couple of months

and at last on a more funny-note- antibiotics ? as a Suppository?

Pandora

Same here Xavier
>>classified by hobbyists...
Do you consider yourself as having more knowledge in the microbiological field than the "ordinary hobbyists"?-- any credentials perhaps?
In which lab did you do your studies -- did you apply any statistical models on your research results?

Yes Darling, I got many lab analysis made by the best pathology lab in Europe...

About the statistical models, for plant pathology identification there is no "statistical model", when the analysis is done by PCR, the results are completel foolproof for the identification.

>My experience is that some of those sicknesses are actually >very slowly invading the plant, and suddently they will resume >and attack.

Do you believe in spontaneous generations as well?

In latency I believe, I think that's the best you should do !

>A batch of paph gardineri in the Netherlands has systemic >bacteria, kept under control with antibiotics, but when moved >to others places, the plants die after a couple of months

and at last on a more funny-note- antibiotics ? as a Suppository?

As a mixture with the fertilizer...

As a suppository, may I suggest for you a coconut ? :D

For the publications, do not worry, it'll be not too long before there are quite a few ( peer reviewed please, and by people with credentials !).

Latest posts

Back