Borneo - Mount Kinabalu

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dan_t

Hi everyone

Finally got round to posting these. I've got loads of pics from around this area, but I thought I'd share a few that might be of more interest to you...

MountKinabalu.jpg

Just an overall view of this stunning mountain. It's just over 4000 m tall and as you walk up it, you go through different microenvironments - it's incredible!

There were loads of Coelogynes and Dendrochilums in flower when I was up there, plus the odd Dendrobium and an Eria (plus others that I couldn't hope to id!).

Anyway, up in the Botanic Gardens at 1300 m, there were these Paphs looking pretty happy:

Paph dayanum

Paphdayanum2.jpg

Paphdayanum-1.jpg

and a load of roths (only a couple in flower though!)

Paphrothschildianum3.jpg

Paphrothschildianum-1.jpg

Paphrothschildianum4.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Dan

These plants were in a protected area of the gardens - we managed to talk our way into the area, but couldn't spend much time in it. This, as you can imagine, is where all the roths are kept! I didn't have time to examine the potting medium, but they were all in terracotta, under semi-shade, but pretty much exposed to the direct sunlight. The one outside had very light colour leaves - almost yellow...!
The temps there while I was visiting was maximum high 20's to about 13 at night (all in oC), as it was just before the monsoon period...

I couldn't stray much from the paths, so I didn't get to see any roths in the wild. I did wander off the paths every so often, but not too much - only when I saw something in flower I wanted to get closer to.

Anyway, I'll post more flower pics in the non-slipper section, as I didn't see anymore of these in flower than this!

Dan

Latest posts

Back