BEWARE!!!! This is a rant on the orchid business

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gcroz

2yr HCC Awarded Stud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
READ NO FURTHER IF YOU HAVE A SENSITIVE NATURE

Alright, this will be my first rant. I'm not very good at it, but I need the release.

Last Friday I encountered my first complainer. By happenstance this complainer probably cost me a sale since the customer went running after the complaint was lodged. Anyhow, we sold a Miltoniopsis hybrid to a customer 6 weeks ago, and she was complaining that the plant was about to go to the Great Cloud Forest in the Sky. By talking to her, I found out she was giving the plant an ice cube every other week. YES, thats right, "every other week." I mentioned to her that when we sold her the plant, insturctions to the contrary were included. But, "I have a friend who said the instructions were wrong. Orchids don't like much water (paraphrased)."

When I pointed out that she needed to water the plant more frequently, specifically follow the directions given, she got angry and told my I had no idea how to raise orchids.

As some of you may know, my specialty is Cattleyas. I was mentored by both Chadwicks, and now I'm venturing into slipper territory (hence the "dumb" questions I've been accused of). But, besides that, I also know that Milts like more water than 1 ice cube every other week. I also know where those instructions come from (shame on you big box stores).

To end the rant, I implore all of you, the next time you hear the "ice cube trick" dispensed by someone, please correct them. In this economy, us growers, hobby and pros alike, need to band together and make orchids easy for all. Otherwise, we can all enjoy playing "Nearer my God to Thee" as the ship sinks.

Rant over. PLEASE ADD COMMENTS OR YOUR RANTS HERE. It's very therapeutic!

Last edited:
(Orchid snobbery coming) We've found that Miltoniopsis are great in the house here. In fact most of the buyers are loving 3rd and 4th spikes! Must be the climate.

But we all have to agree, these plants do need a little water! :)

I used to work for Butterfly Orchids when they came to our show every year. I would help him unload all the plants on Fri., price them and stand on my feet from 8-6 Saturday and Sunday. It was hard, hard, hard work. I was in my 30's and Ernie, the owner was in his 70's. I had problems with an aching back from all the standing and I have no idea how he coped. I was sort of relieved when he retired from the biz, because it's such work! The profit margin is low, and the hours(counting travel time) are long. I'm glad I've been on the commercial side because it made me positive I would never want to be involved with shows and selling to the public like that. If I ever do go commercial it will be via website and appointment only.

Sorry to hear about the disgruntled customer. Unfortunately you will have more. Many more. Mega Marts are taking over and many people today think they can return anything, anytime for their money back. Good luck keeping the blood pressure down.

I agree with Candace.

I'll never forget the time someone came into the greenhouse, in the dead of Michigan Winter, with some plants that looked terrible. When I touched them, they were ice cold, and starting to get mushy. Seems she brought them in the trunk of her car where they had been for several hours, and couldn't figure out why they looked so bad. Sigh.

I work for a nursery, and when I encounter issues with difficult individuals I just whole hardheartedly agree and tell them that indeed, the customer is always right. This generally infuriates them, and pleases me.

I love working shows with Glen (Decker) but I don't know how he does it every weekend, plus speaking and all the nuts out there bugging him on the phone. And yet he is always nice and polite and friendly to people. I remember the first show I met him at, I just hung around listening to him help educate people. Tough job for sure.

hmmm, sounds like you might be partial to my competition Administratrix! tsk tsk. :)

IMHO, the customer is usually wrong. that is until they prove otherwise. (Thats only when i'm in a bad mood of course.) ;)

I sympathize entirely; nothing like a wacky retail customer to spoil one's passion for something. My hubby learned the hard way; he loves motorcycling, loves Harleys, and made the mistake of working at an HD dealership for a very short time - dealing with customers drove him nuts.

hmmm, sounds like you might be partial to my competition Administratrix! tsk tsk. :)

Oh, you know I love you George, I just don't grow Catts or Milts. (Actually, as I recall, I have a tendency to throw your Cattleyas around and misplace your Milts!) :rollhappy:

The job I learned the most about customer service at was managing a Williams-Sonoma store. Retail in general is tough - lots of smiling and nodding involved.

I helped with plant sales for 30 mins and I won't ever be doing it again! Argh! There's a reason I'm not in the smiling business!!!!

I'm really sorry to learn about your stress filled customer troubles. However, it is par for the course. Retail sucks. Lots of customers are great to deal with; but, it takes way fewer crappy ones to totally ruin your day. Some are dishonest and some are like that woman you dealt with....they're idiots! As soon as she told you that her "friend said...", you should've told her "Then take your complaint to your friend. You didn't follow my instructions, you followed hers...and now your plant's dying. What does that tell you about your friends advice?" Man! I hate retail! I've worked as a waiter, a Maitre 'D, a commercial orchid grower at a retail nursery and as a retail grower for myself. People like that woman are the reason why I'm only wholesale now. I realized that one day....I was gonna smack somebody, or worse. It was time to get out of that environment.

As a hobbyist and a commercial grower, I've bought plants. I've made mistakes and I've killed plants. I just accept my loss, I learn from my mistake and I try again, with improved culture. The people who will not accept responsibility for their own actions and decisions drive me nuts. I've told people that they should move on to plastic flowers and leave the live ones in the hands of someone capable. They go away in a big huff. Good! It is better if those types burden the competition instead and stop costing me money with their outrageous demand that I be responsible for their mistakes.

Oh, what a wasp's nest of bad memories this thread has brought back for me! It is utterly astounding how totally daft some people can be. My favourite trick (SARCASM!), is when someone buys a plant one week and then a couple weeks later, returns the dead one that they bought a year ago....saying that it is the one that they just bought and they want a full refund. Grrrrrrrrr!

and all the nuts out there bugging him on the phone. And yet he is always nice and polite and friendly to people.

:rolleyes:
First of all, I resemble that remark! And, I've had Glen call me a pest many a time, in a friendly way of course.
I've been fortunate enough to have worked as a ski bum bussing tables in restaurants and as a maid cleaning rooms and learned about obnoxious customers. Plus I fortunately have an 'ex' that taught me the value of the Merck concept of the 'customer oriented sale'. :rollhappy: Sometimes you just have to shake your head and laugh inside at what people say and do!

If she can keep a Miltoniopsis alive for 6 weeks, she's almost got me beat lol
:rollhappy::rollhappy: I'm with you Jon! I love waterfall miltonias but I can't grow them to save my sole!

.... As soon as she told you that her "friend said...", you should've told her "Then take your complaint to your friend. You didn't follow my instructions, you followed hers...and now your plant's dying. What does that tell you about your friends advice?"

EXACTLY!!!

I've always said in any business, as hard as you try, you will not please everyone! There's probably nothing you could have said that would satisfy this person.

Hope you're feeling better George!

John is right,

This lady was wrong in not following your instruction. After all you raise the plant to perfection (that is why she bought it from you in the first place, because it looked so nice)
-I would be too embarrassed to ask for a refund/replacement no matter who is at fault. Most of the time I assume it is mine. There was an incidence years ago, I bought a lot of cattleyas from (if my memory is correct) from Mr. Norris of Orchid House, then some of them bloom out with virus streaks & crippled. I am pretty sure the infection is not from my collection because I just start collecting at the time (there was nothing in the collection to infect them). I never ask for refund, I do not order more from the source.
-I think the best thing, is always querry the customer about his/her environment, expertise, the species raised in current collection etc.. so you can guide them to the right/wise choice (be it phalaenopsis or cattleya). If they still like the plant that is not suitable, you can warn them ahead for difficulty.
-On the bill, specifically state what plant it is that you sell, so no one can bring in a different species/hybrid dead plant purchased a year ago from another seller and claim that is the one bought the previous week from your nursery.

I've never heard of the icecube watering system, but I do have a couple of hundred Miltonopsis that love being watered copiously during the growing season. Depending on the weather in the summer, they get a daily spraying with water and hard watering every 2-3 days.

Hopefully your customer has learned from experience that the icecube idea is not a good one!

I've never heard of the icecube watering system, but I do have a couple of hundred Miltonopsis that love being watered copiously during the growing season. Depending on the weather in the summer, they get a daily spraying with water and hard watering every 2-3 days.

Hopefully your customer has learned from experience that the icecube idea is not a good one!

Actually I heard about the ice cube trick for blooming cymbidium if you live in a hot weather zone. It may be just a myth.

Actually I heard about the ice cube trick for blooming cymbidium if you live in a hot weather zone. It may be just a myth.
I've heard this, also, as a way to take Cymbidiums down temperature-wise so they will bloom. I don't know if it's true.

Latest posts

Back