Best paph ever but need ID

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Phyrex

This is not my plant and some of us on other forums might have seen this already. I would love to find out what this plant is called, any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00991%20bewerkt.jpg
    DSC00991%20bewerkt.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC00993%20bewerkt.jpg
    DSC00993%20bewerkt.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN1307.JPG
    DSCN1307.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 44
Hmmm. Some Cochlopetalum by some Barbata ("Maudiae" type hybrid)? There aren't many Cochlos, but there are countless Maudiae-type hybrids. Might help if we knew where the individual bought it and when.

-Ernie

Good luck with the ID! I think Ernie's on the right track, cochlo is obvious, something is giving it that large dorsal & mottled leaves, so that's narrowing it down!

I think there is now way to ever know without information from the hybridizer.

the grower is in Europe... so does that help? Do they focus on different hybridising there?

Nice flower. But I agree that it will probably be impossible to know the name. It looks like a several generational hybrid, and could be just about anything. Best to ask where it came from, and follow the trail back to the hybridizer.

I think its a cochlo x a mastersianum hybrid....I see some mastersianum color in it, although the spots on the petals come from another species....then again, some of the color that I attribute to mastersianum could actually be coming from primulinum purpuratum, especially the "liltii" form......Take care, Eric

has anyone seen any crosses between say Paph Honey and a green maudiae-type?

or maybe even a straight primulinum x maudiae-type?

I think its a cochlo x a mastersianum hybrid....I see some mastersianum color in it, although the spots on the petals come from another species....then again, some of the color that I attribute to mastersianum could actually be coming from primulinum purpuratum, especially the "liltii" form......Take care, Eric
Richard I also thought liltii when I first saw your pic

Nice flower. But I agree that it will probably be impossible to know the name. It looks like a several generational hybrid, and could be just about anything. Best to ask where it came from, and follow the trail back to the hybridizer.
I agree - here's some choices:
Lawless Zauberflote (Honey x prim)
Jolly Holliday (phil x liem)
Helvetia (chamber x phil)
Shireen (glauco x phil)
All of these crosses are green leaves, so take any of these hybrids & cross it with a mottle leaf - the possibilities are endless!

the grower is in Europe... so does that help? Do they focus on different hybridising there?
Everyone has different ideas as to what direction they want to go.
There is Villeneuve (prim x Maudiae) registrant Lecoufle 1993.
Oriental Prime (prim x Oriental Enchantment)
I was not able to find pics, maybe someone else could pull up otherwise.

still no way to know. So you cannot say it is this______ hybrid. You will have to enjoy this one as having anonymous parents

Just find something that looks similar and buy it!
BTW the best Paph ever, [except for Frank Smith's Chrystelle maybe, :sob: You had to be there!] is Phrag besseae! :evil:

Latest posts

Back