BEST orchid books. Not necessarily slippers...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend contacted him. Somehow she had an "in". She requested probably 15+ books, and he sent them over. Supposed to be signed, he didn't sign my book but included a signed postcard. :( He'll be coming to the South Eastern Pennsylvania Orchid Society to talk sometime in the next six months, gonna get him to sign it then.

Ill be sure to post something on here when I know when the talk is. That way if anyone can make it...It'll be in Valley Forge, PA....just, uh, around 250 miles from Morgantown.

I just found his website. He is selling them for 50 pounds. That currently converts to $76, which is not a bad exchange rate. Now would be the time to buy. When I was in Wales two summers ago, the exchange rate was 2 USD to 1 GBP.

Does anyone know of any content differences between the 1996 and 2003 printings of Joyce Stewart's Orchids of Kenya? The 2003 edition has 191 pages while the 1996 edition has 176 pages.

The reason I ask is that 1996 editions are a dime a dozen while the 2003 edition has proved impossible to track down. I don't want to buy the older printing if it is missing species that 2003 has, etc.

I have the 1996 edition, and although Amazon list the product details for the 2003 edition, in looking at the 'Look Inside' table of contents on Amazon, it is the 1996 edition that they show. Sorry I can't help more!

I have the 1996 edition, and although Amazon list the product details for the 2003 edition, in looking at the 'Look Inside' table of contents on Amazon, it is the 1996 edition that they show. Sorry I can't help more!

Ah, I didn't notice that! I'm starting to feel like the 2003 edition doesn't actually exist, and if it does, it is in such a small quantity that it isn't worth trying to track down.

I am happy with the 1996 edition (in conjunction with the Angraecoids book).

was going to mention before that for someone who is really into native orchids that are generally found in the northeastern u.s. and nearby, the book
Our Wild Orchids Morris, Frank & Eames, Edward A. 1929.
is an excellent one if it can be found! one of my first orchid hunting friends told me about it and after extensive internet searching I found one 'for sale' even in the same state for only $29 or so, and in excellent condition. a steal! has very good descriptions of searching for orchids in the eastern half of the country (mostly). has a few very nice orchid prints in it as well. one of the sites 'eames fen' is only a few miles from where I lived, at least until I was two months old....

I just talked to a bookseller who had the 2003 copy listed and they said that it had so 176 pages. Looks like they are the same.

I was browsing the MoBot Press website and noticed that they sold almost all of Luer's Icones Pleurothallidarum series with the exceptions of 8, 10, 11, and 13. They list them as "out of print." I'm not sure I understand. Anyone have the story?

Proper book

Thats it - if you want a book on Angrecoids - go to Fred Hillermann - I trust him more than Joyce Stewert - who is good - as well - Fred knows everything about Madegasgar - j

Back