BEST orchid books. Not necessarily slippers...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, Luer's two books are the best. However, you won't be finding them at Barnes and Noble.

Koopowitz's book has so many errors that it is frustrating for me to read. Read the section on the "unavailable" parvi-parvi primaries. It's like he just pulled the hybrid names out of his head without even bothering to check the RHS website.

The new Native Orchids of Australia book by David Jones is pretty good. It now retails for less than $30 (I had to pay $115+ a couple years ago before it was available in the U.S.A.).

I have heard excellent things about Henry Oakleys new lycaste book/bible.

Kyle

Out of these I do consider the Angreacoid(Stewart et al) one superior Heather, and the one from Henry a close second.(But I must admit, there is nothing wrong with the bit older Masdavallia book by Gerritson)
Charles

Heather I just bought the Angreacoid book 'Species from the African Region' by Joyce Stewart, Johan Hermans, and Bob Campbell. I like it. There is a lot of good info in it.

Marilyn

I'm after a book in Masdies that I can't find in the library. The jury is still out on my growing them in the house. They're not real happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Agraecoid book looks good. I like the miniature ones a lot so I think I'm going to put this one on my wishlist too.

Also, does anyone know if there's a good Maxillaria book?

I'm bumping this thread so the discussion can continue. I'm on a bit of an orchid book kick right now. I have decided to eschew bar tabs and fast food in favor of new books!

I'm after a book in Masdies that I can't find in the library. The jury is still out on my growing them in the house. They're not real happy.

:)
I have a complete, but unbound copy of Thesaurus Masdevallia. by Carle Luer for sale. $2000 or best offer. It is out of print, archive quality. Beautiful watercolor. But I recognize that this is a bit more expensive than what a gift certificate would normally cover. :evil:

The watercolors are fantastic, truely a work of art and increasingly hard to find.

:)
I have a complete, but unbound copy of Thesaurus Masdevallia. by Carle Luer for sale. $2000 or best offer. It is out of print, archive quality. Beautiful watercolor. But I recognize that this is a bit more expensive than what a gift certificate would normally cover. :evil:

The watercolors are fantastic, truely a work of art and increasingly hard to find.

Sounds incredible! Unfortunately, I'm in no position to buy it, and if I ever am, I probably won't be able to find a copy!

I just got a copy of Oakeley's Lycaste, Ida, and Anguloa several months ago. Unfortunately I haven't had the time for a serious read yet, but it seems fantastic as far as being comprehensive with tons of picture of flowers and flower mechanics. Gets a thumbs up from me.

I just got a copy of Oakeley's Lycaste, Ida, and Anguloa several months ago. Unfortunately I haven't had the time for a serious read yet, but it seems fantastic as far as being comprehensive with tons of picture of flowers and flower mechanics. Gets a thumbs up from me.
That one's on my list. Where did you pick up your copy?

A friend contacted him. Somehow she had an "in". She requested probably 15+ books, and he sent them over. Supposed to be signed, he didn't sign my book but included a signed postcard. :( He'll be coming to the South Eastern Pennsylvania Orchid Society to talk sometime in the next six months, gonna get him to sign it then.

Ill be sure to post something on here when I know when the talk is. That way if anyone can make it...It'll be in Valley Forge, PA....just, uh, around 250 miles from Morgantown.

Latest posts

Back