Bamboo Garden

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakone

Reaction score
hakonechloa macra allgold - urahagusa

Phyllostachys bambusoides kawanada

Wonderful. Its was nice to see them as shoots. I wish I could grow them up here in the north. The clumping types that are for sale for my zone are not very memorable.

Wow! I've never seen young bamboo before. Very interesting. I'd love to be able to grow them here.

Wonderful. Its was nice to see them as shoots. I wish I could grow them up here in the north. The clumping types that are for sale for my zone are not very memorable.

Hera, the clumping bamboos available in the USA rarely make much of a visible statement, they are too sparse for the first 20+ years of growing. By the time a clumper develops visual impact, you will be ready for the old folks home. Try one of the runners. There are a dozen or more species of running bamboos that are fully hardy in you area. I am in the cold end of zone 5, and I have a nice 5 year old patch of the Phyllostachys atrovaginata, (the second or third species shown) it has been root hardy through -18 F (about -26 C). My 28 year old planting of Phyllostachys aureosulcata has survived -25 F several times. Both will remain evergreen in milder winters. The down side of the running bamboos is that you need to give them some space, and install some sort of barrier to keep them contained. But they are really rewarding if you are willing to put a bit of maintanence work in every year.

Phyllostachys harbin inversa

Cypripedium Aki

Cypripedium pubescens

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'

cypripedium andrewsii

Latest posts

Back