Attacked Pleuro's!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think rodents must have a thing for pleuro's....within 48 hours of putting my first Masdevallias outdoors this spring, the squirrels attacked...tore them up to pieces...eating some and totally destroying the rest....these are the only orchids the squirrels go after ...they destroyed my potted cyps (I'm down to 1 reginae), but they don't actually eat them. The love to knock over paphs, making sure that all media is scattered all over the ground, but otherwise leave the plants alone. But pleuro's....!!!! Good luck! Take care, Eric

If you sign up for that Chase credit card, you can make back some of your money spent on mouse bait and traps! :)

-Ernie

I bet it's slugs. They love pleuro leaves and buds. Get some slug spray and spray the plants with it, don't water for a few days, and see if you find dead slugs.

Luckily, I got this bloom before the attack. Pl. scurrulla.
P5020245.jpg

P5020244.jpg

:rollhappy:
now I know why Eric's pictures are so shaky! it's all the white sugar, high fructose corn syrup and the msg in the junk food that makes him twitch at high speed! on a less light note, I'm glad that one of the flowers survived or predated the attack on your plants.
one thing that copper is good for is messing up slimey critters. if you hung or placed all of your plants on a wall or bench with copper or zinc mesh (galvanized?) I believe that will keep them from climbing on it. i'm not much on personally squishing bugs, peeling off scale with my fingernail sort of grosses me out but just let a tiny bush snail poke it's head out of the media and it gets a fast and furious departure. sometimes I'll grab them and feed them to my albino cory catfish. if you wanted to use up some stale coffee you could try the caffeine torture for sluggish creatures :evil:

Latest posts

Back