Atomiser

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i see what you mean. That looks like a nice set up there.

however I showed it to my boyfriend and he said "that looks like a science lab, if you do that in the living room, I'll bleach the lot of em"

!!!!

hahaha. i know he was only kidding, but what i'm doing at the moment is that I have a tall clothes drier, that i enclose the area with every morning. that keeps the moisture in during the day when the sun's out....and as the clothes dry, they release their moisture into the air as well.

Here's what my atomiser looks like. And this is how I've set up my Mokara that arrived in the post today.

Attachments

• DSC02511.JPG
    DSC02511.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC02514.JPG
    DSC02514.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 19
excellent!

I've bought a vase the same shape and width....but it's a meter tall haha. it stands on the floor and when my vanda Sansai Blue arrives, that's where it'll hopefully go.

I know you're meant to use something like virgin cork or tree fern....but do you think the roots will take to the drift wood i've attached it to?

"I have a tall clothes drier, that i enclose the area with every morning."

You are going to have to educate me on this clothes dryer. :confused: To me a clothes dryer is a round tub that sits next to the washer has hot air forced into it and goes round and round.

Yay! got a hygrometer at chelsea. No idea how accurate it is haha, but it says the mudity around my orchids is about 75%....and it's listed in the "damp" section. which is a little worrying for my walls but yay for the orchids!

don't know if it's a fair test. i put it on a shelf amongst the plants out of sunlight.....and then moved it again and a bit later it was even higher to about 78%.

so that's good right? lol.

I am happy to read that you finally managed to raise your humidity and your orchids will be much happier!!!!! :D And that you will be happier, too!!!!!!!!

thanks!

My Vanda Sansai Blue arrived today so I've place it in a long vase with wet clay pellets at the bottom, and it's been sort of stuck to a piece of drift wood. trying to find some fine moss to attach to the wood, but no idea where to start. All I can find is spagnum moss but i don't like it for fine details. I want the nice furry stuff. Anyone know where I can get it?

Attachments

• DSCF0316.jpg
    DSCF0316.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 13
oooh not spanish moss. although i would love some of that!

but i'm after the lichen kinda of moss. not spagnum moss. looks too much like pond weed to me!

Wahaj, that's a very unique way of growing your Mokara and vanda... I've never seen anyone grow like that.. But I think your plants will like it. Yes,the roots will grow all over the driftwood, but I don't think they will attach to the glass... :)

thanks paphio boy :)

there's some dispute in my mind where this method came from. I'm certainly not the 1st one to do. I first saw it about....2001 ish....when I saw a Vanda beeing sold in a DIY store....and they had the vase in a tiny little black basket with no medium and it was sitting in a short, fat vase and the roots were filling the vase up....just like a phal would in a white pot. And you're basically meant to fill it upto the crown with water in the morning, leave it about 10 minutes and then drain all the water away. This gives the roots good soaking. However I know there are some people that around 2005 started to claim they initiated this method of growing, which I find very sceptical, as I said, I'd already seen it being sold commercially about 4 years before that.

However I didn't want to mount it on a basket, I much prefer the more....mounted look, so went for the drift wood wedged into the neck of the vase. As the vase is too tall for me to be moving every day, i don't soak the roots. I mist the every morning, and I have some expanded clay pellets at the bottom of the vase that I fill with water every morning. During the heat of the day, the water at the bottom evaporates, and there's enough of a micro climate in the vase to keep the moist and green.

This morning I've had 80% humidity and last night i had 85% humidity. This is purely from humidity trays and keeping the plants close together. When I mist them, and put the atomiser on, the humidity rises even further.

atomisers do work well

Hi Dude, i use atomisers in all my growing areas with a oscilating fan behind them, i run them for 15 mins every hour of the growing period (daylight or growlight time) and they really help to pick up the humidity, my plants are also in humidity trays but i found this was not enough. over night i vent out the rooms to limit damp build up and in winter if its to bad i use a diluted bleach and water solution to wipe the walls and this keeps the green stuff down.Hope this helps.happy growing!
Gavin

ah! ok....well I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the bleach on my walls as it's matt emulsion....it'll just wash off.

However I'l be moving my plants in the winter to away from the window. I know they need the light but in the winter if comes from a different direction. Right now if comes straight down in from the skylights.....however in the winter and sun's lower....it comes in across the room so they'll still have light.

I've now also purchased a black tacca! and I've got a paph pinnochio and a small dendrobium on the way. in july I'll have a phrag grande "virginia" as well. so need lots more room!

And i totally agree gavin. i think it's the mixture of different things that helps humidity. My humidity stays at a pretty contant of 80%...with humidity trays, the atomiser and the occasional misting. sometimes it goes to about 85-90% haha love it.

Latest posts

Back