Are aircone pots worth the $

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone!

Hi Rick,
Wow, 20 years that is very telling that you still are using the same product!

Can you share your potting mix ingrediants with us ?
Ratios?
I water heavily, then go back and water a second time, helps with wetting & absorbing, & seems likely to help leach out any accmulated salts.
Thanks again everyone,
Jim T

Not whining (really) but I get up at 5-5:30 AM to water.
If I don't get up before my son (or wife for that matter) it doesn't get done.
It is really enjoyable to get out there first thing in the morning.
I have a small floodlight out there.
Jim

On the other hand Eric, I don't have anywhere near as large as a collection as you do either...
With that large of a collection I imagine it does take quite a bit of time...
Jim T

John, where do you get...

Hey John where do you get different colors aircone pots from?

"Ray knew what he was dueing - there are no down sides to this pot - if you don't like the clear - they came in 2 - 3 more colors -john"

Thanks,
Jim

Where can I get trays to hold the aircone pots?
The 2 & 2 1/2 seems like they would tip over when watering.
Thanks again,
Jim

Hey Eric,
I haven't gotten the aircone pots yet, (just ordered a bunch from KK), but I would like to keep them all straight in the trays though, I was just thinking that they MIGHT tip over...

Soooo any leads for trays?
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Suss16,
Thank you very much!
That is what I was looking for...

However, I've already ordered many 2" aircone pots already...
any trays that fit the 2" aircone pots?

When I buy seedlings from growers that is one of the sizes I see most often, so I ordered that size for my seedlings.

I have a bunch of compots that are getting to the size that they need to be moved out into pots... so that's why I ordered that size.

Got another question for you, have you used the 4" Kord trays for your 4" aircone pots or does the 4.5" fit better?
Thanks again!
Jim

I have not tried the 4" aircone in 4" Kord trays - but don't believe they will fit. Aircone pots have very square edges from top to bottom. The other clear pots I order taper a bit and fit in the trays. I am sure Ulla will modify your order if it has not shipped. I order from them also. It's all about experimenting and finding out what works for you.

I believe the 2" aircones will fit in these trays - but not as snug as the 2.5" pots.

-The material is 3 to 4 times thicker than the normal pots, very sturdy.
-The air cone would bring the air to the middle of the mix so less roots' rot. More so for big pots.
(I just hate that the edges & corners are so sharp)

The "sharp" corners are harder to clean crud out of.

But I've been using them (not exclusively though) since 2002, and like them allot for all the reasons stated except the sharp corners.

I wash them in the dishwasher (when my wife is not home) and soak overnight in a 10% bleach soln overnight. That does the trick for me.

Got my order of Aircone pots from KK's, man they are sturdy!

Thanks to all that recommended them!

I've started potting up my compots into individual pots, I've got bunches to do, but it is very enjoyable to pot up these husky little plants!
Plug in some great tunes and I'm in orchid heaven!
Jim

As you stated, Jim, they are sturdy aren't they? They make almost all other plastic pots look like they are made of typing paper.

As stated they are trickier to water, but I think it's worth it. Though I do have a smaller collection and hand water each plant...

I also hate the gap between their 3" and 4"models—it's really a noticable leap in size, and it always seems like a 3.5" Aircone would fit the slipper I am potting, I swear...!

I also hate the gap between their 3" and 4"models—it's really a noticable leap in size, and it always seems like a 3.5" Aircone would fit the slipper I am potting, I swear...!

We used to go round and round with Ray trying to get him to produce additional pot sizes.

Now that you mention it, I agree that a 3.5" pot WOULD be a nice addition, but so far that has never been as much a problem for me as it was for all those years when there was no 5" pot.

Quantum leap in potting mix consumption notwithstanding, you had to be really careful jumping from the 4" pot to the 6" pot because it could easily result in an overpotted plant that would find itself going from that 6" pot down to a 3" pot at the next repotting and then pouting for years to recover. Ray's point of view was that the molds were so expensive he was just wasn't sure he could ever sell enough of the new size pots to recover costs.

I'm very thankful to whoever decided to go ahead and produce the 5" pot - I am pretty sure I have done my fair share to help recover the cost of THAT mold!

I use these for types that are considered more air loving and found that they are happy as can be. I was just hoping to find a source that was more cheaper.

I had forgotten about the 5" being fairly new, Scott... I do remember that jump from 4" to 6", how HUGE the 6" was. I agree that the 5" was a nice addition...!

Quantum leap in potting mix consumption notwithstanding, you had to be really careful jumping from the 4" pot to the 6" pot because it could easily result in an overpotted plant that would find itself going from that 6" pot down to a 3" pot at the next repotting and then pouting for years to recover.

boy, I've had my share of large phal species that were growing fast and I moved them from a four inch pot to a six inch one, that I had tried my best to make enough air space in the bottom center to try and keep them from getting too wet, but the plants had terrible setbacks (one favorite being dead). I guess maybe just keeping them in four inch pots (maybe now using 5" ones...) and let new roots just grow outside the pot...

Back